Author Topic: One year old has almost zero interest in solids - Please help, I'm desperate!  (Read 3601 times)

Offline thecrunchywife

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hi all - I'm new here but feel a slight sense of relief to find a forum where I can express some of my concern. My son is  just over a year old and has been exclusively breastfeed. I was very relaxed with introducing solids because I figured he would be our guide and he would eat when he was ready. We started with purees at around 6 months but he had no interest. To make a long story short, in the last 6 months we've tried purees countless times and we've tried pretty much every food under the son that isn't dairy or egg. (He has a dairy sensitivity and an egg allergy) We did try egg and it was one of the few solids he actually ate willingly, but he had a bad reaction and we now have to carry an epi pen. Oye.

Anyway, we are having a crazy difficult time getting him interested in anything other than breast milk and I'm starting to get worried. He has had reflux his whole life and is still on medication for it. He also had torticollis as an infant and had a tongue and lip tie that was clipped around 10 weeks. He's always been slightly 'behind' the average baby in things...I say behind in quotes because I'm a firm believer that every child is different...so I really haven't been too worried and figured that he'd eat when he's ready. Well here we are, over a year and literally the only food he will willingly eat EVER is blueberries or raspberries. That's it. Everything else he will either gag at just the smell or just ignore and throw on the ground. Even if he does get some to his mouth and take a bite...I'll get all excited and then he'll just end up throwing the rest on the ground and won't try any again.

I've discussed my concerns with his pediatrician and he has an appointment in two weeks with an occupational therapist to just do a few evaluations to make sure there isn't something going on physically. I'm just really concerned. I'm also wanting to try him on some goat's milk to try and slowly wean from breast milk but he just has absolutely zero interest. I feel like I have the pickiest eater in the world, and I'm so worried about malnutrition!

We've literally tried everything I can think of...beans, meat, fruits, veggies. I've tried adding flavor and spices, nothing seems to make him interested. Help! Is there anyone else out there that has gone through something similar?

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Hi, welcome and hugs, it sounds like you're having a tough time. I'm glad you have an appointment to check that there is nothing physically causing the lack of interest as you may find that very helpful. I have no experience of this kind of problem but I know there are people here who have done and I'm sure someone will be along soon to lend you some of their btdt experience.

When you say you've tried all kinds of foods but he's really not interested, have you tried solid foods, ie finger foods, or have you stuck to purées for the moment?

Just to reassure you, if you're breastfeeding, your LO will not be malnourished as he'll be getting all sorts of nutrients from your milk. I know it would be ideal if he were eating more or some solids but if you can try not to worry (easy to write but very hard to do I know) then when you've had the help you are seeking in real life and some ideas from the very friendly helpful people here it may all come together.

Sorry I can't be of more help, many hugs
~ Naomi ~

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Hi and welcome to the forum  :D

You sound like you have a great attitude to it so far! Best to be relaxed and follow his lead I think.

How much breast milk is he getting now? Have you tried to reduce it so he is more hungruy for the solids?

xx

Offline thecrunchywife

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Thank you guys for your fast replies, I really appreciate it! For solids - yes TONS of finger foods. He wants nothing to do with them :( Other than blueberries and raspberries of course.

I haven't tried to cut back on BM feedings yet because we went through a supply issue back when he was 7 months and he lost a pound, so I am, of course, hypersensitive to that and nervous that he'll lose weight again. He's only in the 15th percentile. Anyway, for a little back story - he was EBF and would refuse bottles until about 9 months. I went out of town for four nights and he had to be bottle fed my BM while I was gone. Ever since he has refused the breast except for night feedings. Over the last couple of days he randomly decided he wants to nurse again, which I'm okay with because I absolutely hate pumping. When he was on bottles, he was getting between 25-30 ounces/day of breastmilk.

Thank you so much for your support so far! I really appreciate it!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
So he has 4/5 feeds a day?

Have you tried him sitting with you whilst you eat? Eating from your plate? Playing with really messy foods so he gets used to the texture/feel of it?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
My DS was a good eater so I don't have btdt experience, but I do have a couple of suggestionss.

Can you give him loads of opportunity to be around food and play with it? Sit him in the shopping trolley and let him feel everything as it goes in, have some way of him getting involved when you are cooking etc. Even time crawling in cornflakes! Lots of exposure, but no pressure at all to eat. Just think of it as play time so you can act as nonchalant as possible.

I'm saying this because kids pick up on emotions so easily and if he's getting nutrition through your milk you are ok for now.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
How much is he feeding at night - is it every night or just some nights?

Laura