Author Topic: Pasta everyday! Is this ok?  (Read 24635 times)

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Pasta everyday! Is this ok?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 03:56:45 am »
Which one does the  Canadian guide line say has the ill effect? I'm assuming refined carbs??, but why suggest a 50/50 split? is there a benefit of refined carbs?

Nope - the whole wheat.  It will give kids the feeling of being full so that they don't eat much else (veggies etc)... it's suggested that half of the carbs you offer be whole wheat and the other half be refined...

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 21:23:34 pm »
Hi all,

Thank you! I have read your responses, but didn't have time to reply at the time and then couldn't find the post without searching for it! Where are your own posts located on this updated version!? Logged in on computer now to make it easier - usually use ipod touch!

Anyway, it's interesting how everyone has different guidelines! Laura, thanks for clarifying the UK guidelines. I'm not going mad then!

I will try a little of the wholemeal then, just to introduce LJ to it. Tbh I fear what my hubby will think more!!! He's not a fan of brown rice. I used to eat it for the benefits, but didn't particularly enjoy it! That was 5.5 years ago before I met him! Not sure I"m going to appreciate the wholewheat pasta either. Not keen on wholemeal bread :( and hubby hates it too.

On a positive note, pre weaning LJ, hubby didn't eat a whole heap of things that he does now: salmon, tuna, cauliflour, broccoli etc. I know he will be willing to try it at least!

Would have started LJ on a bit of this before now if I'd thought about it more. We will see how it goes... xxx

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 12:20:19 pm »
My DS would live on pasta too if I let him. BUT I serve him what we are all eating (and make sure he at least has a side dish he likes) and we DO have pasta 2-3 times a week (well two usually for dinner and once for him for lunch). And we use MOSTLY organic whole wheat pasta and only occasionally white pasta. I'm gluten free so I use quinoa pasta myself but the kids and now DH too really like the whole wheat - DH now won't eat white pasta as he finds it too mushy! I also always change up what is IN his pasta - sometimes chopped up veggies in the sauce, sometimes cauliflower, sometimes a meat sauce, etc.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 13:52:40 pm »
Hey Anne: what brand is your pasta and wher edo you buy it from?
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 11:43:27 am »
I think the only thing to be wary of is limiting the diet too much.  I am convinced that this could cause fussiness and restricted diets in some kids.  Although having a child who also didn't sleep well I feel your pain.  What I used to do was give him something 'safe' for tea that I knew he'd eat then something more experimental for lunch so he had tea to catch up if he needed to.  The funny thing was some of the lunchtime meals then became the 'safe' foods.  If I had restricted his diet completely I would never have known that.  I also always offered a pudding which was healthy enough that I wasn't worried if it was the only thing he ate.

I'm also unconvinced that at 1 year night wakings are due to hunger but I really do know what it's like to be exhausted.

Let me know if you need any recipes though to mix up the pasta and rice dishes, I have quite a few.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/