Author Topic: For all those extended nursers and nurslings out there...  (Read 4986 times)

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: For all those extended nursers and nurslings out there...
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 14:27:49 pm »
What a load of nonsense.  I think DD was around 4/5 months when she first signed 'milk'.  Not sure your "expert" would be suggesting stopping feeding a 4mo!!

When you say expert, are they supposed to be a BF expert or some other sort of HCP?
*** Amanda ***

Offline louis-mummy

• Showing Appreciation 22
  • Louis - the bestest (and now a school) boy!
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 19:23:03 pm »
It is shocking but doesnt surprise me actually ...I politely refuse to get into any conversation with a HV here (or the nursery nurses who give out advice at weigh-in clinic)

Sounds as though you really don't need that kind of 'advice' anyway!
Laura

Offline SILLYFACE

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 23:08:07 pm »
Hello ladies!
Thank you so much for all your encouragement! I'm glad it's not just me!
When my DD was slow to gain weight during the first few months of her little life, I completely lost faith in the health visitors. They told me 'my baby was starving' - I asked them how they could justify that comment when she was sleeping 5 hours straight at night. The reply: 'because she is exhausted'. They told me to suppliment - I'm ashamed to say, I did it. I then took two further months building back my supply. Fortunately I worked with an infant feeding breastfeeding councillor who gave me huge confidence. I've never trusted anything they've said since. According to the bf councillor they have out-of-date training based heavily on weight gain rather than seeing the overall child. I am truely baffled why these people are in a position to offer advice about something they know so little about.
I can't believe we are still going strong.- even on 1-2 feeds a day. I've had an amazing journey and I am quite sad but humbled that we are beginning the end of bf. I honestly wouldn't change a thing and am already looking forward to bf another.
It is wonderful that this site exists especially for the early days and extended nursing. Its kinda nice to feel part of a community. Thanks everyone! Oh and when my daughter asks for milk in her many different ways I will write it in her baby book as an important milestone! Xxxx

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 16:52:59 pm »
So glad you've found good help and support, whether that's IRL or online.  Well done on getting this far :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 20:02:25 pm »
both my kids were able to say "am, am" for milk from around 8-9 mths. Only for milk. It was their first word. Kind of what PL kids say for "yum, yum" and my DH would say it to them since they were born and would latch on, then I'd start saying it to them, and then it kind of stuck and Ozzie taught it to Emma...

what a load of codswallop xxx
Very jealous of those of you who got longer (or are getting longer) than the 18ish months I got both times. Mine gave up all too soon - bit me, blew raspberries and it was all over in the blink of an eye....ach! Maybe again, someday....

S x

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 21:51:11 pm »
Hugs. All very common unfortunately. I usually ask why they are giving advice that contradicts the WHO guidelines to feed to 2 and beyond. And that 2yo is the minimum not a max either. They usually get quite quiet quite quickly after that.

Offline SILLYFACE

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 22:23:35 pm »
I remember when I asked for info about weaning onto solids they told me that babies are weaned too late at 6 months and that the WHO guidelines were designed fir babies in deprived countries as milk is superior because it is sterile. I ignored and weaned slowly at 6 months anyway. If only we had more jack newman's in this world! I actually followed a mum out of the clinic once after she was given some poor advice about supplimenting. Be interesting to know if the problem lies with the UK or if ot is wide spread? Luckily there are lots of support networks out there but you need to know where to look. X

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 22:46:02 pm »
Be interesting to know if the problem lies with the UK or if ot is wide spread?
Happens here too :(

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 02:18:03 am »
Definitely happens in the US,  I've found most people think you have to be a super crunchy sort to go past 6 months...

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 05:47:52 am »
In Ireland, sadly, you have to be super crunchy to even begin breastfeeding.

Worst initiation rates in the world (and I am talking about simply ONCE putting baby to the breast after birth). Its around the 35-40% rate, depending on the hospital! Aus, NZ, Eastern Europe like here in PL are in the 90s%, UK, USA, Canada in mid 70%s so its quite depressing to be from Ireland in this respect....you can imagine the looks I got feeding 12-18mth olds on the plane on the way back (not that I usually fed my 12-18mth olds during the day as they fed am and pm and I was working ft from 4 and 7mths but a bit of APOP on the plane with the booby always worked a treat to get a nap started....wish I still had that ammunition up my sleeve. These days, all I got is the leappad ;-)

S x

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline gogomama

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 14:19:33 pm »
Both of my LOs were born in France and with DS I got the advice to supplement when he was 3 days old bc he wasn't gaining weight. I chose to go against the Drs advice and DS ended up being just fine once we got his latch sorted out.

I must say that while I got some surprised looks when I told the Drs I was still feeding after 1 year but no one ever actively discouraged me and most were very positive about it.  I think its a shame that your HVs are so opinionated in their stance against BF but good for you for sticking to your guns. 

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2012, 18:37:30 pm »
It is truly astonishing that they can't hear how ridiculous the statement "once they are old enough to ask for it you should stop giving it" actually is - can you imagine saying that about anything else?

Good for you on ignoring them and going with your instinct. I was so fortunate that when ds slid down the percentiles (from 98th to 15th), the hv I said looked at him and said "he's happy, he's developing properly, he's clearly thriving, carry on the way you are". In fairness, I wouldn't have given up or supplemented whatever he had said, but it was so good to get that kind of validation. I'm sure that had ds been my first and I had been faced with the "typical" hv I would almost certainly have given up or supplemented.

I am just about the only one of my friends who has fed for as long as I have, so I think they are all convinced that I am a closet hippy! However, I was at a party for one of dd2's friends where ds was the second youngest younger sibling (if that makes sense!) and all of the mums were still feeding.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2012, 07:09:16 am »
Oh yeah- no medical professionals have suggested i stop..

I think the thing is that people sort of suggest that once you feed past 12 months you are probably going to be still feeding at 8! There are many steps in between!

I think this whole baby thing has brought up my closet hippy ::) Between the extended breastfeeding, baby wearing (NOONE still wears their babies at 16 months at ALL), cloth nappies and baby led weaning- i may as well just go and join a commune!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2012, 12:08:27 pm »
It is truly astonishing that they can't hear how ridiculous the statement "once they are old enough to ask for it you should stop giving it" actually is - can you imagine saying that about anything else?
I was thinking about this ^^^ when James was asking me to read books to him this morning.  "whoops you asked, no more books for you!" ;)

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 19:07:37 pm »
(NOONE still wears their babies at 16 months at ALL),

I'm clearly a crazy hippy, then ;)
Still BF and BW at almost 22m ;D 8)
*** Amanda ***