Author Topic: not eating purees now - 7.5 months  (Read 1884 times)

Offline nona

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
« on: October 09, 2012, 02:22:03 am »
i'm going to ramble - sorry!

DD has been eating pretty good lately - and liking (baby) oatmeal  - esp when mixed with my breastmilk - but would eat mixed with other stuff too.  She also likes vegetables and some fruits. i was feeding her level 2 baby food & the oatmeal was  pretty thick. I am only feeding her one meal a day at breakfast. I was planning on starting lunch or dinner but was going to wait until after our trip this past week. .

so on our trip,  the last few days she was not swallowing the purees i brought and was just holding it in her cheeks! she was eating these dehydrated chopped up carrots (snack for baby) and also like rice puffs though willingly.  we went to disney and i didnot want to feed her a bunch of processed junk food KWIM? not many options at the park. 

so i'm wondering if she just is over purees and i should start feeding her soft cooked foods like peas or carrots, etc?  my DS was a big eater as a baby and loved all food and would eat lots and not picky. 
heather

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
Re: not eating purees now - 7.5 months
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 02:28:48 am »
I would try the softened foods, it sounds like she likes being able to self-feed.  Or, if you could always give her some puffs/finger foods while you spoon feed her so that she's feeling awesome for feeding herself and eating food like everyone else and you're able to make sure she gets enough in her tummy.
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline nona

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 02:42:21 am »
hey sara! haven't "talked" to you in forever!

she is def more independent that DS (like to give herself her own paci, bottle, plays by herself)

i tried to do both but she still chipmunk-ed the food! i will see what happens tomorrow morning - we just got home today.i have like ZERO groceries. i wonder if i could make the oatmeal super thick and she could pick it up with her hands. just thinking out loud bc i don't have a lot of baby friendly options right now. i may have a sweet potato i could bake for fries LOL. seriously i have very little and prefer to feed her something i make not costco spinach raviolis, etc,
heather

Offline ~Sara~

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 04:44:04 am »
I know...it's been a while!!  Can you believe how big our girls are?!?  M is more independent with food/bottles than A was at this age...it's been wonderful.  She's been able to eat stuff for months that took A ages to handle.  I have to hold back on some things because she only has 3 teeth and can't mash it up with her gums (hard things like apples, cantaloupe, cucumber).  Otherwise, she eats anything, even BBQ, my little Texan ;)

Hmm, do you think she would like to try to use a spoon?  Obviously, she won't be able to feed herself with it, but it's something new and cool?  Help you sneak in a few bites here and there?  It could also just be a phase that she's going through, having discovered that she *can* hold food in her mouth.  I think the thicker oatmeal would be fine.  If nothing else, she'll have fun giving herself a facial!
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline nona

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 14:43:19 pm »
oh i do let her feed herself with a spoon. she takes it from me and sticks it in her mouth. im not sure she could get it in a bowl though and load it up.

today she did willingly eat pureed green beans and i gave her some slivers of fresh apple to gum. i personally find feeding to be realllly boring so i'm all for her to self feed LOL

i almost gave her some steel cut oats this morning but the one i was eating had added sugars (it is a frozen kind from costco if you are familiar) so decided against.

so i think i'm def going to review the finger food section....DD does not have  any teeth yet....
heather

Offline ~Sara~

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 15:06:57 pm »
LOL, it sounds like she's just ready to roll!  7 months going on a year ;)

There are lots of things that she can still eat, even with no teeth.  M got her 1st one at 7mo, 2nd at 8mo, 3rd just last week...and she's been eating all sorts of stuff.  I bet your DD is just a mature eater.  One thing that M really loves is meat, little pieces of chicken or turkey.  It's soft enough and can be gummed down enough to swallow.

Hope you find some ideas!
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline nona

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 15:09:02 pm »
haven't tried meat yet...i feel kinda behind as i don't feed her very much and just one meal a day....
heather

Offline ~Sara~

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 15:22:29 pm »
Don't get too stressed about it; she's still pretty young.  You have 5 more months until it's really important (as you know)...there's lots of time to get things all sorted out.  At least you know she's interested in eating and isn't picky :)  *hugs*
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline nona

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 15:32:41 pm »
our are right. she is only 7.5 months. LOL. TBH, some days i forget!!!!
heather

Offline gogomama

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 15:52:14 pm »
Yeah I would definitely start experimenting with finger foods to see if she takes to it. There are tons of great ideas on here.  It doesn't really sound like the typical spoon refusal though if she is putting it in her mouth but just not swallowing. Perhaps she is just not hungry or trying to figure out the different textures? For travel I just recently tried those little puree pouches with a straw like top with DD and she loved it...a lot less mess than carrying around a spoon too.:)

Offline nona

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 16:13:59 pm »
duh!! i had some of those last week - didn't even think about that!

yea, she is putting food in her mouth and then just holding it. today was better but i think she wld prefer teh finger good.
heather

Offline louis-mummy

• Showing Appreciation 22
  • Louis - the bestest (and now a school) boy!
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 19:40:05 pm »
Hey Heather! How was your trip?!  :D

Finger foods are totally the way to go, its so much easier and fun!, I cant want for us to get started. We were 80% blw with louis, gave him manageable peices of anything and everything. If he needed help with loading spoon or feeding esp yogurt etc then I did do that.

Toast fingers, pear, banana, soft chicken, broccoli spring to mind.

I'm just researching it again now. You'll get loads of ideas on the other threads.

She's not going to actually consume as much as with purees though does that worry you?
Laura

Offline ~Sara~

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 20:16:11 pm »
For travel I just recently tried those little puree pouches with a straw like top with DD and she loved it...a lot less mess than carrying around a spoon too.
I got some of those with attachable spoons for a recent vacation.  It was great.  Plum is the brand we used.
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline nona

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 14:55:19 pm »
ok this morning i gave her chopped up avocado and peaches - she liked it.

i did mix a puree with some oatmeal & breastmilk - she like it too. i think she prefers the oatmeal with my BM. i also give her a little open cup with BM and she does pretty good drinking it.  i gave her a sippy with a little bit of water while we were at disney world (really hot) and she figured it out.
heather