Author Topic: how long after introducing wheat should I expect a reaction  (Read 1757 times)

Offline essexlemon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
how long after introducing wheat should I expect a reaction
« on: October 10, 2012, 10:04:32 am »
So it wasn't the best timing but DS1 decided to share a peanut butter sandwich with DS2 in the back of the car. I was cross but thought that since he seemed ok afterwards (maybe even a bit better) that we'd start reintroducing gluten (after roughly 2 months without for DS2 and me).

He had a cold and a slight but of chestiness and was waking early due to teething but was reasonably steady.

A week down the line we are having nap refusal. He's been back in bed with me in desperation for some sleep. He early wakes at 3am and has a long wake up before that. I've been blaming the cold and teething because his chest sounds so wet (doc has checked 3 times and always clear but it sounds like he is drowning and won't settle unless I tap his back and wakes as soon ad I stop.

He was fine for about 4 days after starting normal bread etc so I had discounted it being food intolerance but is it possible it has now had time to build up in his system?

Also as an aside how likely is coconut intolerance? My older son seems to go loopy whenever he has anything containing coconut (but also reacts to high fat milk)
 For any thoughts.

X
My husband is running 13.1 miles in the Great North Run in memory of my brother. Please can you help us raise funds for the Cardiomyopathy Association in his memory?
https://www.justgiving.com/RichardDahler/

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: how long after introducing wheat should I expect a reaction
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 17:18:01 pm »
Yes, it is possible for it to take this long to show a reaction but with a cold and teething it is very hard to tell. Around that age is the worst as there are so many other things it could be! Has he definately had a reaction to gluten before this?

Not sure coconut intolerance is 'likely' but you can be intolerant to anything it seems to me!

Offline essexlemon

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 20:02:55 pm »
Thanks BB.

No definate reactions previously. He just seemed to improve when we cut gluten but with a baby who never slept and is just a rubbish teether it was hard to tell for sure.

We'll try ditching the gluten again and see how we go.

Shame, I was looking forward to trying dairy next - there's a good Italian restaurant up the road and I am desperate to get back on the pizza!
My husband is running 13.1 miles in the Great North Run in memory of my brother. Please can you help us raise funds for the Cardiomyopathy Association in his memory?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 19:52:37 pm »
HI, how he is now?

You WILL get that pizza one day soon!

Offline essexlemon

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 16:45:50 pm »
Thanks BB. His cold is so up and down that it's hard to say (that and DS1 keeps slipping him bits of sandwich on the sly).

I think we will ride out this cold and then try a challenge properly.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 17:20:47 pm »
Yes, it is hard to challenge when ill or teething as you can never trusts the signs. x