Author Topic: DS is bored with supper  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
DS is bored with supper
« on: October 11, 2012, 17:30:15 pm »
It happened to me before - I pretty much give the same thing for supper (it's our cold meal, lunch is warm) and he got bored and refused to eat. Every supper he would sit down and after a minute ask to get off his chair without eating anything. I changed the food and he went back to eating again supper. Now he is bored again :P but I don't have anymore ideas what I can give. In the past I gave him french toast, nowadays I give him cubes of cheese, a slice of bread with butter or cream cheese and some cucumber or tomato. When I try to give now fried egg, scrambled egg, boiled egg - he doesn't want to eat it.
DH suggested that there is something different on his plate every supper, maybe that way he won't get bored. So we can go back to french toast, I guess, for once a week and I can give what I give now for supper once a week, but what do I do with the other five suppers?
And ideas?

BTW, I am really happy to prepare anything - I have the time and I am at home, so *that* is not a problem.
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline Mattsmummy

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 18:21:38 pm »
So your supper is your cold meal then. And you usually offer the same meal for one week?
Could you try a quiche or something like that? that way he gets egg, cheese and some vegetables?
What about some pasta with butter and cheese? My LO loves that and it can be eaten hot or cold...
"But the fighter still remains"

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 18:44:30 pm »
What do you and DH eat in the evening then?  DS has no problems at lunch?  Perhaps he just prefers warm food?  Would you try changing the presentation of it?  DS has pb&honey sandwiches/toasts as breakfast 5 days out of 7.  If I serve him something else other than croissant, he won't touch but he got bored of it.  Now we cut different shapes out of it, he would eat when he likes the shape ::) 

Fritata?  Cheese muffins?  Quiches?  Tiny sausages or veggie sticks?  Fish sticks?  Chicken pieces?  :P  I am hungry again

Offline Ima shel Alon

Re: DS is bored with supper
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 18:55:38 pm »
I am hungry again
LOL, Koe, you made me hungry as well.

Yes, supper is our cold meal. DH and I eat same like DS - bread, cheese, spreads and veggies. That doesn't work anymore.
He has no problem with the other meals, he eats porridge every morning and never complained :) and lunch is also ok.

Fritata?  Cheese muffins?  Quiches?  Tiny sausages or veggie sticks?  Fish sticks?  Chicken pieces?

Could you try a quiche or something like that? that way he gets egg, cheese and some vegetables?
What about some pasta with butter and cheese? My LO loves that and it can be eaten hot or cold...
Yes, so that's what I wanted to avoid, you see. I want him to eat a cold supper. But maybe I am wrong... If he will eat warm food then I could just warm leftovers or make something simple, that's no problem, but he will eat different stuff than DH and me and somehow it felt wrong when I thought about it. I'm weird like that. I would need to give it more thought.

Thanks.

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 18:59:17 pm »
If that is the case, perhaps cut the cheese and bread into shapes?  :P  like little stars, hearts, so same foods, and he has to learn to conform to the national norm! :P 

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 06:36:52 am »
Most days DS has his cold meal in the evenings as well -- except on days when he didn't like the lunch at kindergarten and didn't eat, then I make him a warm meal.   I do rolled up slices of deli meats or cold turkey sausages, cold frikadella, chopped up fruits, vegetables (either raw, cold or from a tin - he loves tinned carrots just cold on his plate, as well as tinned corn).  I buy frozen peas and just put a handful in a coffee mug and pour boiling water over them until they are not frozen but they are still rather cold and he loves them.   He also likes baked beans right out of the fridge.  Sometimes I make up a huge batch in my slow cooker, other times I buy them tinned.

Cheese on toast, I realise it is cooking and 'warm' but it still falls into what we call our "picnic" meal -- I use rye bread and put a slice of cheese on it (edam, gouda, butter cheese, or sliced hard cheddar) and pop under the grill in the oven until is starts to melt. Cut it into strips and DS will eat it once it has cooled.   

Crisp breads with fresh cheese, quark, jam or peanut butter - DS prefers the puffy crisp breads rather than the Wasa bread style. I can't think of the name of them right now but they are in a red box and come in wheat, rye or wholegrain.    He likes raisin breads from the bakery, sometimes I slice one of them up and use them to make his french toast. 

He has a yogurt most every day with his evening meal.

Peanut butter and banana sandwiches on soft whole grain bread (the kind they use here for toast rather than for sandwiches).

Does your DS eat fish? DS won't eat smoked salmon now but he did when he was little.

I'll see if I can think of anything else!

Offline Ima shel Alon

Re: DS is bored with supper
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 11:51:23 am »
Wow, Mashi, you gave me so many ideas, thanks!
He eats fish, he loves Mackerels which I give him sometimes. Didn't try smokes Salmon.

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408