Author Topic: I'm almost sure he was ready - but so much gas :(  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Harrisons_mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
I'm almost sure he was ready - but so much gas :(
« on: October 14, 2012, 09:19:42 am »
Hi there

I introduced my lo to solids at 18 weeks (he was born 10 days late, not sure if that makes any difference.)  I know this is extmely early and I had never expected to do this as he is ebf, but he was showing so many signs.  Wanting to feed every 2 hrs day and night (lasted for 10 days, so don't think it was gs and was sure we had gs at 15 weeks) watching everything that everyone was eating (from the table to our mouth) can sit up supported, swallows saliva, has more than doubled birth weight.

Anyway, so I gave  him baby rice one evening and he was literally leaning forward for the spoon and ate the lot!  2.5 weeks later and he is taking the spoon from me and feeding himself.  Yesterday he took the bowl and tried to drink from it.  He also took a sippy cup the first time I offered it and drank water (got the fright of his life when the chilled water came out tho...hehe)

So, my concern is that he has always had trouble with gas, but the last couple of nights it has got really bad and I'm worried that I may have been wrong about his readiness.

He has had rice, pears, bananas (his fav) sweet potato (not so keen, but ate it) and squash (refused it)

Any advice on helping with the gas or advice on how to continue with solids.  I think if it wasn't for the gas he may sleep 5 hrs at a time at night, but now he wakes every 2 hrs.  He has never slept longer than 4hrs and almost always 3, so a good nights sleep would be like a dream come true..... :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: I'm almost sure he was ready - but so much gas :(
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 22:00:10 pm »
Hi, not sure TBH, the only babies I know that were weaned that early had reflux and that was to help the reflux. It could be that his digestive system wasn't ready and it is struggling? Or it could be that he is having problems with one of those foods - like an intolerance to it. ???

Olly had a massive growth spurt at 4 months which basically lasted until 6 months!

Hopefully someone will be able to advise from a more 'medical' point of view?!

Offline Harrisons_mum

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 12:49:17 pm »
I've heard that too about the massive gs, but I wonder if those are really gs, or a sign the lo need something more than bm.  Some people don't even acknowledge a 4 month gs?? 

Gas was much better last night.  Think ill keep bananas to AM feeds. :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 13:24:28 pm »
I've heard that too about the massive gs, but I wonder if those are really gs, or a sign the lo need something more than bm.  Some people don't even acknowledge a 4 month gs?? 

Never heard that tbh. I tried Olly on solids at 5.5 months and he wasn't ready so HE wasn't ready until 6 months though he had been waking or feeds at night long before that.

I think everyone has opinions about everything it seems when it does to raising babies. I can't keep up the various opinions about weaning, allergies etc  :o

Bananas didn't agree with Olly till about 8/9 months.

Offline Harrisons_mum

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 14:35:49 pm »
That's what I think... When they're ready they'll let you know :) DS is now trying to take the bowl from me because he's fed up waiting for me to refill the spoon! Hehe. I think he's ready.  I'm gonna stop stressing, just never expected to be starting so early so keep second guessing.

He's still waking every 3 hrs for a feed, but seems MUCH more contented, so I'm a happy mummy :)

Thank you xx