Author Topic: Swaddling  (Read 2277 times)

Offline JaxMomNeedsSleep

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Swaddling
« on: October 17, 2012, 16:00:15 pm »
My DS is almost 16 weeks old.  For about a week he started STTN for 8 hours.  All of a sudden he is back to sleeping 3 hrs, then 2 hrs, then 1 hour all night long.  I always swaddle him in a miracle blanket, but he has suddenly been able to work his way out of it, which I think is why he is waking up.  Should I try to stop swaddling him?  I just don't think he will sleep unswaddled...  I have tried Swaddle Me, and the Woombie as well.  He can also get out of the Swaddle Me, and he ends up sucking his fist through the Woombie.  Any one have thoughts on if I should stop swaddling or try a different swaddle?

Offline Charjanemom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 16:04:26 pm »
When we stopped swaddling lo slept on her tummy. If you aren't comfortable with doing that I have heard about something called zippadee or something like that. Maybe google it. I used the ergo cocoon. It's like a tight sleep sac that has domes at arm holes to transition one arm at a time. I also started no swaddle at naps only. We did this for a week then at night when I went to swaddle her she started to cry so I knew it was over.

Good luck

Offline lynners

• Showing Appreciation 7
  • My beautiful boys
Re: Swaddling
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 20:22:44 pm »
Is there any reason you wouldn't want your LO to suck his fist through the woombie?  Sounds great to me - swaddled and able to self soothe.

Offline JaxMomNeedsSleep

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 23:45:41 pm »
he tends to wake himself up when he feels the need to suck his fist.  i'm going to experiment with some different combinations during nap time and see what works.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 01:51:16 am »
I'd see if you could wean the swaddle -- he'll be rolling soon enough anyway and it's generally advised that you wean the swaddle once LOs start rolling.  We always did one arm out and then the other. 

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 07:04:57 am »
Agree with Erin, you can wean and do this while moving him to a sleep sack too ;)
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Miamamma

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 18:32:55 pm »
I used a woombie and my LO also nuzzled her hands through the material. It was very handy in the end as when we weaned her into a sleep sac she moved onto nuzzling a muslin. Like Erin, we did one arm out first. I have to say though, we didn't wean from the swaddle till she was 6 months...she was a bit addicted!

Offline Ernest's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 09:43:56 am »
Be brave and try to wean from the miracle blanket.  One arm at a time.  Morning nap first - or which ever nap your LO sleeps best at.  I was scared too but it's surprisingly ok.  I remember reading that once when are sucking their hands well it's a good sign that they can self sooth - so in fact it's good to have them out of the swaddle.  I just did it with my 12 week old as she started kicking out of it - and amazingly it hasn't effected things too much at all.  You can still put a sheet / blanket over their body and tuck them in well so they feel snug. Good luck!

Offline JaxMomNeedsSleep

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 21:35:38 pm »
Just tried to leave a hand out for a nap.  And your right!  Didn't seem to affect him to much.  He slept for his usual 45 minutes and is sucking his fingers, talking to himself right now. 

Will work on the naps first, then try to proceed to nights.

Thanks everyone.

Offline Charjanemom

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 23:04:05 pm »
Good! I would continue with naps for a week. He will probably let you know when he doesn't want it anymore.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 01:27:04 am »
My LO is 5 months and he's just not ready to be unswaddled so we bought the Swaddle strap which works great and I put im in a onesie with the sleep sack over that and the swaddle strap.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline JaxMomNeedsSleep

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 19:28:05 pm »
I just googled the Swaddle Strap - wow, that is awesome. Wish I had known about it from birth.  We have spent so much money on so many kinds of swaddlers.  Will definitley recommend the idea to other moms.

Not sure if it is an option for me now as I'm trying to wean the swaddle.  But if DS isn't ready for weaning, I am buying one for sure.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 20:58:07 pm »
I can't tell you how much money I've spent.. It's just stupid. I tried weaning him into the zipadeezip but he just wasn't ready yet. I know I want to wean him soon but he just wasn't ready. He can't break out of the swaddle strap and he's not rolling front to back yet so we've got a little bit of time. :) But it's a great product wish I'd known about it from the start. IF (that's a capital IF) :) we have another i'll be using that from the start. You don't have to unswaddle them to change the diaper etc. It's perfect.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 00:20:34 am »
It's crazy how all these companies profit off of us poor sleepless moms!