Author Topic: Allergy or random?  (Read 884 times)

Offline SukieCat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Allergy or random?
« on: October 17, 2012, 17:47:17 pm »
Hi,

DS is 6 mo and was EBF up to 4 mo, when I started giving a formula supplement.  I've been feeding him cereals and veggies for a few weeks.  He was eating oatmeal cereal for at least 2 weeks with no problems.  Then I switched brands, and two hours after he ate the new brand he vomited up everything.  He was fine after that.  The new brand says it "may contain traces of wheat," whereas the old brand did not say that.  Is it possible that he's got a wheat allergy?  He's always been a spitty baby, and he was colicky when he was newborn.  I tried eliminating dairy from my diet, and that didn't really make a difference. He's been on reflux meds, although I was never really convinced he had true reflux (he was always a "happy spitter").  Do you think he could have a wheat allergy or was it random that he threw up after the new brand of oatmeal?  He eats rice cereal with no problems.

I'm interested in hearing your opinions/suggestions!  Thanks!!!

Offline abbysmomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 18:51:52 pm »
All oats, unless gluten free certified, contain traces of wheat. It's from the way they're processed and grown. May contain labels are voluntary, and so just bc the first brand didn't have the warning doesn't mean there isn't wheat. Hopefully it was just a one time thing. I would cautiously try again! Oh, one more thought. Premade baby foods are notoriously laden with contaminants. If you're unsure, maybe try homemade? Hope that helps!

Offline SukieCat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Allergy or random?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 19:51:33 pm »
Thanks!  I didn't know that about oats, that helps a lot.  :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Allergy or random?
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 20:08:18 pm »
Hi, was he just sick that one time? I would def try it again and see what happens. My guess is that it was a one off x