Author Topic: How to trial cow's milk  (Read 9474 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
How to trial cow's milk
« on: October 22, 2012, 01:32:41 am »
DS is 10.5 months old. Diagnosed as MPI. I am starting to consider trialling cow's milk. We are currently on elemental formula (Nutramigen AA) so I was wondering how I should approach it:

- move on to hypo allergenic formula (Nutramigen A+)
- move on to regular formula
- try cheese or yogurt first, and then move on to formula

Since DS is still on a very limited solid food diet, I am definitely not going to move him to regular whole milk when he turns 1- he's likely to stay on formula for a few more months until his diet is more varied.

WDYT?

Also, how long until I see if it's a fail or not?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 01:38:39 am by *Elise* »
Elise

Offline oneplusone

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: How to trial cow's milk
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 03:32:45 am »
I'd wait until 12 months at least. My DS is BF, but I'd maybe try cheese or yogurt first. He did OK with those but not regular milk. I haven't stopped BF b/c I can't drink regular milk and he's past 12 months so I didn't see the point of starting formula. Good luck!
DS grumpy since 2011
DD textbook since 2014

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 08:27:33 am »
I have heard that starting with yogurt or cheese is best. Having said that you do have the option of moving to the hypo allergenic formula and this might be a good step to take especially as your ds has issues with other foods.

Kelly x

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline ENMS

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 10:54:04 am »
Thank you ladies :)

I'd wait until 12 months at least.

Yes that makes a lot of sense. I'm definitely not trying it 'right now', I'm interested though because DS is currently on a very restricted diet - non sweet vegetables and meat. Eventually I'll be able to add maybe some fruits and grains, but not too much  so dairy becomes much more important to his diet - if he can tolerate it of course. But I'm still in no rush, he's taking up eating again so that definitely comes first, but I know in the 'near' future we'll be trialling dairy. Also our insurance may not cover the elemental past 1 yr old and at $1,000 per month, there is no way we can afford that :(
Elise

Offline oneplusone

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 12:27:16 pm »
Oh dear that's expensive. There are milk alternatives such as rice milk, soy milk, coconut milk , etc... As long as he's getting a good variety in his diet. Glad he's eating better now.
DS grumpy since 2011
DD textbook since 2014

Offline ENMS

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 12:59:33 pm »
I'm hoping maybe I can at least make the switch to HAF, it's not as expensive, but it's still nutritious. Since he,s only just starting to eat, there's no way he'll have a varied diet in 1.5 months. I guess if he needed elemental at 3 months old, even if he's not outgrown the MPI, he can probably handle HAF now.
Elise

Offline oneplusone

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 14:49:44 pm »
You'd be surprised how much can change in 1.5 months! Especially at this age. I think around 12 months was when my DS really started "eating". Prior to this he refused to eat anything unless it was mixed with applesauce and I spoon fed him. He hated touching anything slimy with his fingers and didn't try to feed himself at all. He'd eat everything I gave him... on a spoon. Suddenly he figured out that he could feed himself and then went nuts! Hopefully things start to look up!
DS grumpy since 2011
DD textbook since 2014

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 17:59:02 pm »
I think from what you describe that your lo will still need formula at 12 months old. I think it is great that you are thinking about it now as you will then hopefully have a plan of what you would like to try first, obviously it does not mean it will work so you may need a backup plan. My ds is 8 now and still can't have dairy but he is IGE allergic and was not able to tolerate hypo allergenic formula when we tried it at 2 years old. James had a severe food aversion so was on an elemental formula until around 6 years old. Luckily we are in the UK so did not have to worry about the cost as it was covered by the NHS.

Kelly x

Offline ENMS

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 18:23:35 pm »
James had a severe food aversion so was on an elemental formula until around 6 years old

Wow, that must have been hard on both of you!! :( My DS has (I think) an aversion to food but for now (I hope!) he has only associated it to being spoon-fed. We'll be seeing an occupational therapist to help out with this but I doubt he'll have a varied diet any time soon - with all the restrictions on his diet that we have and his issues with being fed.

IgE allergy tests were negative with DS at 6 months but I've heard sometimes they can be false negatives when they're young ???

I'm hoping that the insurance company will cover it with a GI prescription but I'm wondering if they would not request that we trial HAF first. Which is why I'm trying to think ahead.
Elise

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 08:16:37 am »
It was a difficult time but it did get easier as he started to accept food slowly. We were also lucky that he drank the neocate happily otherwise he may have ended up with a feeding tube.

Kelly x

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 04:18:33 am »
IgE allergy tests were negative with DS at 6 months but I've heard sometimes they can be false negatives when they're young

Sure can- not reliable until the age of 2... but you can ask to have him retested at each visit - you might get a positive at some point ;)

DD is totally fine with GoodStart formula (whey protein only).. she is fine with all cheese/yogurt and cooked dairy... still cannot tolerate standard infant formula (like Enfamil with both whey and caesin)... cow's milk is a no-go still at age 2.

As for how long until you know it's a fail - trust me, it's quick ;)

Offline ENMS

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 14:09:57 pm »
Kara I didn't know goodstart had only whey protein in it - good to know I just may try it.

Bad news though, our insurance says they don't accept to pay for hypo allergenic formula beyond one year unless he's done a challenge. I explained to them in detail the circumstances, sent a 2-page fax to get them the whole story, now they want to speak to his GI but she's on sick leave, and the deadline is coming soon (they're only paying until Dec. 7).

I'm so scared they are going to refuse to pay, there is no way we can afford it we have some meds that we'll have to pay for DS that cost in excess of $1000 per month, there's no way I can pay the formula on top of that.

I'm hesitating now between waiting to see if they accept our position, or going right away with a trial just in case so we don't get stuck.  Our GI has said we can try it if we want but she still recommends waiting and prioritizing new solid foods rather than dairy trial. Poor boy has been through enough I don't want to make him suffer through a potentially failed trial right now.
Elise

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 21:44:37 pm »
Poor boy :(  He has been through so much.. I don't think I would try milk yet either.. I am still thinking I might give it another shot with my kid and she is 2 and only reacts to plain ol milk - I can't imagine if she couldn't have any dairy.. I would be sticking with formula...

Maybe give the GoodStart a shot..  stick to the basic one without DHA/ARA as those can cause tummy upset too... and maybe use the GoodStart2 (it's in the pink packaging, as opposed to purple), as it has the added calcium/iron for babies over 6 months.. those are the only differences nutrition wise and the taste must be similar as DD will drink either or without batting an eyelash ;)

Offline ENMS

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 13:59:34 pm »
I keep forgetting! I can't give him goodstart. The only regular formula I can give him is Similac Advance. All others have sucrose or starch in them, which DS is intolerant to.

I may try it, I'll follow up with the insurance co today and if it doesn't look good I gues I'll go ahead and trial a formula. there's no point if we can't afford the nutramigen aa anyway.
Elise

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 16:16:28 pm »
ugh...