Author Topic: How to trial cow's milk  (Read 9475 times)

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: How to trial cow's milk
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2013, 23:58:20 pm »
Good luck hun.. I used to mix an ounce of warm water with a 1/2 tsp of brown sugar (to give you an idea of what you need in terms of sweetness).  Not to say that M isn't sweet enough as it is ;)

I would give it to DD one ounce at a time every few hours until she pooped.

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2013, 18:08:08 pm »
 :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

I don't know what to think... for the past few days (since the week-end maybe) he has started crying in his sleep a few times. We had a NW 2 nights ago, DH was able to settle him but he woke 45 minutes later, I offerez 4 oz of water, he gulped it and then went back to sleep happily. He still sleeps 12h nights and 3h naps which is better than we've ever had.

His poo is still better than it's ever been.

But I'm starting to wonder... what is up with crying out many times at night? Yesterday evening and this morning he was also fussier than usual, wanted to be held, saying maman over and over and always being around me, which is very unusual as he's a very independent little boy.

It could be a sinus infection. He has had a cold that has been going on for a good 2 weeks and last week the Dr suspected it was turning into a sinus infection. He's not congested exactly, but he has a lot of mucus, will cough once in a while and you hear that it's really thick. We are using Hydra Sense many times a day to help with that but given his history I am very hesitant to give him the antibiotics his Dr prescribed.

It could be teething, he has molars that are cutting through, but the last one didn't bother him, so...

I guess my question is - could it be MPI if he is having great poos (would crying out at night and being fussy for the past 2 days be the only symptom)? Would it take that long to show itself? We have been transitionning him for 2.5 weeks now, adding 2 oz of the new formula every days (he takes 24 oz total). Tomorrow will be his first day of being totally on the new formula.
Elise

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2013, 18:26:07 pm »
It could be many things but I wouldn't think it was the MPI just yet. It could be plain SA, it could be a late 1 year regression. Olly woke last nights a few times but he had nothing in his diet, he is also congested when he coughs but no cold!

I just can't think that after getting this far it could be the formula? My gut feel it is just growing pains. whati s your gut telling you hun xxxxx

Offline ENMS

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2013, 21:28:54 pm »
Oh god bless you BB thank you so much  :-*

I'm just you can imagine just how nervous I am... because of M's intolerances I have now realized that he does not tolerate well the Nutramigen AA... so if this is a fail, I'm not sure what milk I'll be able to give him :(

I also spoke to his nutritionnist today and she said like you, that she would have expected a difference much earlier if he was MPI. It's been over 10 days that he's been having at least 8-10 oz a day, and we've only noticed a difference in the past few days.

FX he gets better.
Elise

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2013, 21:31:14 pm »
Oh, I can imagine  :'( fingers and toes crossed x

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2013, 21:34:01 pm »
How is he doing with his foods now? Is he on a much wider range yet? I ask as he is over 1 now and could come off formula  but I guess you are staying with it due to the of variety in his solid intake?

I stopped BFing Olly at 14 months and then he was on oat milk.

Offline ENMS

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2013, 21:48:12 pm »
Yes exactly, he is still restricted to meats and green veggies. I have been told I should keep him on formula until 3-3.5 years old because he won't be able to get a truly 'balanced' diet with his intolerances.
Elise

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2013, 22:25:33 pm »
Agree with BB, I don't think it's the milk either...

But if he has a sinus infection - go get that Rx hun...

Offline ENMS

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2013, 00:26:38 am »
Thanks Kara :-*

I have gotten the prescription filled... Even found some abx that are sucrose free ;)

But... I find it so hard to know between a cold that's lasting a bit longer and an actual sinus infection, yk? And not that abx should be taken lightly but I wouldn't hesitate with my DD, but his system is so fragile. I'll see how tonight goes and decide tomorrow.

Thanks ladies, I really appreciate the support :) don't know what I would do without you.
Elise

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2013, 05:07:18 am »
I totally know what you mean about his system being fragile, they are really just so young and so prone to things going so horribly wrong at times... A sinus infection will generally mean he is far more crabby pants than he is with a cold - would likely rub his eyes/face a fair bit from the pressure too.  Maybe some lovely green gunk in his nose... cough...

Offline ENMS

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2013, 12:00:09 pm »
He doesn't really have obvious symptoms... but he had a cold more than 2 weeks ago and for the past week, his nose is not congested / stuffy anymore, but he still has lots of mucus going around, yk? He coughs mostly at night and when he gets up, and it's a mucus-heavy cough. But then he won't cough all day. Even at night it's not non-stop, just a few times (although it usually wakes him and he starts crying:(). This morning he coughed and ended up puking some of him formula.  He is fussier, but still except for one day, I'd say he's overall happy.

So I'm not sure, he's not an obvious case...
Elise

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2013, 16:28:43 pm »
I would be more inclined to think that is related to the sinus infection/cold hun... For sure MPI can appear with a mucous thing but it's generally more of a stuffy nose, not chest congestion...

Any chance that the sinus infection is moving south to his lungs - I would worry about pneumonia...

Offline ENMS

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2013, 21:28:30 pm »
Thanks Kara you're probably right...

Though if he had a sinua infection or pneumonia wouldn't he be having a fever, coughing a lot, being congested, etc?
Elise

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2013, 22:32:09 pm »
probably, but not all babies are really super sick when they do develop pneumonia...

How is he today?

Offline ENMS

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2013, 23:54:24 pm »
He's worse :(

The lady at daycare said he was fine today and didn't cough but tonight he hasn't been so good... he coughs more and it sounds even more congested. Definitely starting the abx tomorrow. wish us luck.
Elise