Author Topic: Loose, gritty bms  (Read 2860 times)

Offline clazzat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 286
Loose, gritty bms
« on: October 25, 2012, 07:01:40 am »
I have been dairy free since x was little - since I worked out that if I had dairy he woke at 4am and screamed for the rest of the day! Over the last few months I have tried to have dairy every now and then to see if he could cope with it - every time he has become very unsettled so I have concluded that he is still mpi. This last week, I had a cup of tea with milk in it and he seemed fine so I have had a few more bits of dairy - cheese and chocolate mainly!  :P He has been fine in himself, cheerful and sleeping normally, with no signs of discomfort. However, his nappies have become very loose and gritty - which I do remember from when I had dairy when he was little - which makes me think that perhaps his system isn't dealing with the dairy too well. But I'm not sure whether this is an indication that he can't cope with it and I should stop having dairy before it causes him discomfort, or whether it is not going to turn into discomfort and he just needs a bit of time to adjust to processing dairy. I haven't given him dairy directly, and don't plan to for a while as he is happy with soy yoghurts and coconut milk.

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: Loose, gritty bms
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 01:16:10 am »
I think this would fit better in Allergies, but my 'puter is misbehaving.  Will see if I can find some help. 
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 16:51:04 pm »
Errr, I guess the only way to know for sure is to keep going! I don't know what the answer is I'm afraid  :-\

Offline clazzat

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 17:53:02 pm »
Thanks for the reply! I'm happy to keep going and see what happens, I just wanted to see if there was anyone out there who had had something similar and could say "no, you shouldn't do it because the bms are an indication that all is not okay and it will turn into discomfort for him", iyswim. As he is still very cheerful I'm going to work on the basis that he does not have a problem with it. Pizza tonight, then... :p

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 18:09:07 pm »
I have heard of both turn outs TBH that is why I am reluctant to say. He could have a bit of lactose intolerance as his body adjusts to the milk. Or he be suffering a build up reaction.

Offline clazzat

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 18:12:56 pm »
I guess the only way to know for sure is to see what time brings.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 18:40:37 pm »
Yes, if he starts getting any signs of discomfort I would stop. There is a school of thought that maybe if you drank a big glass of milk then you would see the signs for sure if had MPI!

Offline clazzat

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 18:46:53 pm »
There is a logic to that!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 18:48:01 pm »
Scary though  :o

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 20:06:53 pm »
Yes, if he starts getting any signs of discomfort I would stop. There is a school of thought that maybe if you drank a big glass of milk then you would see the signs for sure if had MPI!

:-X I read this and realised that the thought of a big glass of milk turns my stomach after 16 months on an ed  :(!! 

We're in a similar boat Clare, except E's having mucous poos and I've cut back on the biscuits  ::).  We did try her with the *tiniest* piece of cheese the other day and she was up in the night in pain.  Tricky to know whether it's the mpi, or a temporary lactose intolerance though  :-\

Claire x

Offline clazzat

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 20:23:55 pm »
You see I am really looking forward to having a big glass of milk, but I'm still a bit unsure about the wisdom of it! I'm a little concerned about whether I will be able to cope with milk after such a long time without it.

A couple of months ago I tried dairy and x didn't cope with it at all well - you might find that you can get away with it soon.