Author Topic: How do I read to him?  (Read 5967 times)

Offline clazzat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 286
How do I read to him?
« on: October 26, 2012, 18:55:50 pm »
He will not sit still. Not for a second. Not for anything, particularly not for anything "boring" like reading! If I do manage to restrain him for long enough to open a book, he pulls it, chews it, throws it on the floor...  I'm guessing you get the picture! So how do I read to him? I love reading with the girls, and it was a great way of getting them calmed down for bed after I stopped feeding them at bed time so I want to be able to do it with x too.

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
Re: How do I read to him?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 18:56:58 pm »
slowly, dont give up and one day it will just happen. It did for us, unlike DS1 DS2 is a wriggle bug and reading was so hard and then one day it just clciked and he loves his books now.

Try reading to him when he is eating....
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 19:02:32 pm »
Yep. DS was the same, we couldn't even do a BT story because he wouldn't sit still and just ended up more wound up and hyper than he was to start with! He was well over 2yrs before he was interested and as pp said it just happened all of a sudden.
Catherine x

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 08:03:37 am »
I've got a book worm so not in the same situation but something I've started doing before bed to settle him is to tell him stories. Without the book...kwim? So we do Goldilocks and the Magic Cooking Pot and I've got a made up character which is just like DS but lives in the jungle and does the same kinds of things as DS - so he goes to swimming lessons and birthday parties etc. Maybe he'd prefer to hear some oral stories?

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 08:09:13 am »
Oscar was the same - always on the go. I think things got better around 2 yrs, maybe language skills got better, maybe concentration - not sure. Emma's always been a cuggle-snuggle-book-bug. But it gets better - I find O asleep with a book or a notebook in his bed every night these nights ;-)

S x

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 08:21:59 am »
Have you tried those "That's not my puppy/dragon/tractor" books? DD loved them at that age because she was doing something. I also used to read to her while she ate her breakfast sometimes.
Katt

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 08:35:24 am »
we loved those "That's not my" books - I was able to get them from my school library!

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline clazzat

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 08:37:23 am »
I have tried the that's not my... series - we have about a hundred of them! He takes a little more interest in them, but he will really only look at one page before he starts struggling, eating the books etc.

Chicane - he won't listen to oral stories either, I have tried, or songs. He really doesn't want to sit still!

Good to know that he might settle down eventually, though. I'm not used to this - my biggest challenge with the girls was (and still is!) getting them off my knee to go and do something!

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 10:06:21 am »
I couldn't do a thing to make DS listen to a story, nothing. I would just try from time up time and eventually he decided he loved it. We read loads now :)
Catherine x

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 20:58:09 pm »
He really doesn't want to sit still!
Maybe he is a kinesthetic learner?
Not everyone learns the same way, if his natural preference is to learn kinesthetically then encouraging him to sit still or stay on your knee whilst you read would be pointless and possibly detrimental to future interest in learning.  Maybe look into it?  Kinesthetic learners can usually do two things at once (listen to the story - may even occasionally glance at the page to see the picture - and build blocks/dance/roll cars down a ramp at the same time), it doesn't mean they are not listening or are ignoring you or the book.  The physical movement helps them to take in information so for example later in life being allowed to squeeze a soft ball at their school desk could help them to take in an oral lecture.  These sorts of learners can sometimes be accused by teachers of messing around, not listening and not paying attention etc because they are constantly fiddling with the contents of their pencil case.  In fact the fiddling helps them retain the information they are hearing and can even cue recall in exam situations.
I would be open to the idea and look out for it in other areas as it would be helpful to know this so you can speak to his teachers in the future etc.

OK, lecture on learning styles over.

My DS loves books, always has since he was a newborn but there is no way on this earth he would read a book at BT.  We have a slow dance at BT (I used to sing, now we have a CD playing), so a calm down and cuddle for 3 mins or so then into bed.
Books we read at any other time of day, he reads to himself for 20 min or so at morning WU before I get him up and always wants lots and lots of books read to him so he certainly loves them but it's not a BT thing for him and I can't force it unless one day he changes his mind, maybe when he's older.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 21:01:47 pm »
R is like this!  I read M books from about 5 months and she LOVED them!!  R, nope.  Won't have it at all.  BUT now she is 2 it is like someone flicked a switch and she wants to read books ALL the time so i do think it will come!

Offline clazzat

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 09:29:03 am »
That's an interesting point, creations, thanks. The girls are different sorts of learners (one visual, one auditory) so it is inevitable that he will be different again! I'm not sure that that is what it is at the moment, though - it's not that he is happy to do something next to me while I read - but I will definitely bear that in mind as he gets bigger.

Oh, and there's no way that I would get a 3 minute cuddle at bedtime either! He does literally never sit still!

It does look like I just need to wait until he is 2 - sounds like there is some magic switch that flips at that age. I'll look forward to it!

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 09:36:01 am »
agree with creations.   moving is an important part for brain development.  it helps make the nerve pathways in certain parts which is perhaps what he needs while listening.  He is just following his body.  When he moves around, it doesn't mean that he isn't listening. 

What is the goal of reading to him?  Is it to calm him down or is it to cultivate reading?  would visual stimuli calm him down?  auditory?  tactile?  if he prefers kinaesthetic, you can perhaps try moving his legs like air cycling, swimming with the arms while he lays in bed to see if he finds that soothing.  HTH

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 09:46:42 am »
Megan is still very hard to read to even at 2.5. She will every now and again now, but again we still get the book snatching and flinging etc etc.

Jacob has loved books from an early age.

She is marginally better one on one - reading a shared story before bed - disaster!!!

I'm hoping she will settle soon as well.

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 10:24:35 am »
She is marginally better one on one - reading a shared story before bed - disaster!!!

dd2 is like this, will happily read 3 or 4 books at BT when she is drinking her milk, but if I try and get her in on DD1's stories it's a nightmare ::)
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 11:21:55 am »
When he moves around, it doesn't mean that he isn't listening.
It's amazing what they do listen to.  Even when we think DS isn't listening at all he suddenly copies a word or phrase we say or will respond if any sort of fruit is mentioned (ie he wants some).

Offline clazzat

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 13:44:19 pm »
I know that they can listen to a lot without us really being aware of it, but he really isn't listening - if he was happy to potter around or play with a car while I read then I would do that until he wants to participate in the book, but he doesn't. He pulls the book away or closes it on my fingers or tries to put it in his mouth.

The purpose is to get him interested in books - they are very important to me and I want him to love books as much as the rest of the family does. Also,  when I stop feeding him at bedtime I would like it if our last activity was a cuddly story as I will miss that bonding time with him - it's not about calming him down as such, as he is very on/off and doesn't need to time to calm down before going to sleep.

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 14:01:02 pm »
Clazza, what if you look at a book about animals with him and you ask him to pretend to be the animals?  Like doing a funny penguin walk with him, and sniffing around like a puppy, would he be more inclined to join in?  Or has he got a specific thing he likes, eg, tractors, trains, and just pick one thing that he likes and targets that to get him interested?  Or would he rather be pushing buttons to get some sounds from a book? 

If he likes food, give him a snack and then read while he enjoys it.  Would it help?

Offline clazzat

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 20:55:03 pm »
He does like pushing buttons - we have a peppa pig book with noisy buttons which he loves, so maybe I should focus on that. Having said that, he doesn't want me to read the story as well, though!

He's not quite at the point of joining in with imitating things yet, nor does he have a particular passion yet, but I will bear those in mind and try them to see if he enjoys it. Thanks, koe.

Oh, and he doesn't sit still to eat!  ;)

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 21:12:14 pm »
This was Grace for a long time, too!  I would give her one book to chew on, bang, whatever and I would read. She would go play with something else and I would keep reading. Now she will bring me books and sit in my lap for them, most of the time!
*Kate*

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 15:25:07 pm »
Finn didn't start sitting for books until after he turned 3.  Now he loves them, will often choose books over toys when we are in a waiting room at an appointment.  'Reads' himself in the morning when he wakes early (as we all know he looooves to do lol).

It will come Clare.
The tweaking never stops!

Offline clazzat

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 21:18:58 pm »
Thanks, all. I will just possess my soul in patience and wait for him to get to that point - and then no doubt complain about the fact that he keeps demanding stories and I don't have time to read to him all the time! :P

We might be getting closer - he did sit on my knee for 10 minutes after his nap today which is unheard of!

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 21:24:24 pm »
complain about the fact that he keeps demanding stories and I don't have time to read to him all the time!

Yep.  We negotiate every single night now for how many books.  Normally we do 3 but sometimes we do 4 and if he faffs around we start losing our books...lol

It was a very slow process.  He just had no desire...but when the desire kicked in, it was beautiful.  Is he Spirited at all??
The tweaking never stops!

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 21:28:44 pm »
Oh, and he doesn't sit still to eat! 
he might prefer a stand up comedy act than a sit down story telling ;) lol

Offline clazzat

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 21:29:15 pm »
 He's not actually - textbook through and through - but just does not stop moving, ever!

I'll work on my comedy, koe - not sure it would keep him entertained yet!  :P