Author Topic: When to increase solids?  (Read 1026 times)

Offline acowle

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 29, 2012, 13:34:20 pm »
I started weaning my 6 month old daughter 3 weeks ago. She currently takes 34oz of formula per day along with 2 tablespoons of baby porridge with fruit puree at 8am and 2 tablespoons of veg puree at 5pm.  I have tried sweet potato, carrot, parsnip, brocolli and butternut squash with her so far.  She seems to be thoroughly enjoying everything I've given her and am now wondering if I should be increasing the amounts and or/ introducing lunch soon? I'm sure she would take more if she could? However suspect this will mean she will take less milk during the day, is this a problem given that I've read milk should still be her main sustenance at the moment? Also don't want her waking up hungry in the night! Any thoughts greatly appreciated! 

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: When to increase solids?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 13:58:53 pm »
She is taking plenty of milk, the minimum the need from 6 months with solids is 20oz, most babies seem to be taking between 24 and 32oz at this age.

You can increase the amount of solids she is having by following her cues, if she will take a bit more than you currently offer you can carry on until she tells you she has had enough. If you continue to offer milk feeds and then solids about an hour after she will still take her milk. Try her with lunch and see how she does, dropping a few oz of milk won't be too much of a problem as she is taking plenty, just keep an eye on her intake and drop the solids back a bit if she does start refusing milk! You can start offering her finger foods too if you aren't already.

Laura

Offline acowle

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 17:21:26 pm »
Great, will try all of your suggestions. Also should have said that she has reflux, which is no longer as much of problem now that she's weaning and sitting more upright but as she still throws up some I do tend to give her a bit more milk to compensate.  Thanks a million for your advice and for responding to quickly, I really appreciate it!!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: When to increase solids?
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 18:26:55 pm »
No probs! Let us know how you get on!

Laura