Author Topic: What age are people starting solids?  (Read 4796 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
What age are people starting solids?
« on: October 29, 2012, 17:30:44 pm »
I was at my Dr for our 4 month visit and he asked if my DD was ready for solids.  I am not ready for solids!  My other two kids barely ate and solids always stressed me out.  I was surprised he asked and he told me that they are starting earlier and earlier now.   

I think I may just give her bites of some stuff we are having when it seems appropriate in order to start without any stress to me.  Does that make sense?

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • Me and my boys ❤️
Re: What age are people starting solids?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 17:39:30 pm »
I always thought 6 months but maybe Im wrong! I think DS was 5.5mo
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 18:26:29 pm »
I was at my Dr for our 4 month visit and he asked if my DD was ready for solids.  I am not ready for solids!  My other two kids barely ate and solids always stressed me out.  I was surprised he asked and he told me that they are starting earlier and earlier now.   
Similar situation with me today at the doctor's!  Well, the student doctor who was shadowing mine asked if I had started cereal and I was totally surprised by the question.  I simply told her that neither of my previous two children were particularly interested until well past 6 months so I was not in any hurry to start!  I will be waiting until 6 months and not likely a day sooner.  Seeing as how she gained 3 lbs in the last two months on BM alone, I'm not particularly worried about giving her anything else as she seems to be doing just fine!  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 21:13:37 pm »
The UK guidance is to wait until 6 months.  Their digestive system is more developed and there are far fewer limitations to the food they can/can't be offered.
I wouldn't be in any hurry at all.
That said, I was totally determined not to begin with mine until 6 months but for several weeks before that I could no longer eat anything in front of him even if he has just had his fill of milk, he would cry blue murder that I had food and he didn't and yet still refuse more milk.  it was getting silly.  I eventually gave in at 5.5 months, tried to offer as little as I could get away with for those couple of weeks and then let him pig out at 6 months :)

I think I may just give her bites of some stuff we are having when it seems appropriate in order to start without any stress to me.  Does that make sense?
It sounds to me like you are right for the BLW approach (baby led weaning).  There's a thread if you wanted to chat to others and info can be found on the internet if you wanted to read about it.  We did BLW and the entire weaning experience was an utter joy for me and anyone else who joined us for dinner.

Offline *Sandra*

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 21:44:15 pm »
It was 6 months with my first and I think we did the same with my second. She had reflux and it was miserable!! She at rice crackers and plain ice cream cones for months!  BLW sounds interesting, I think I'll check that out! 

The only reason I would consider starting now is because my DD is up every 3 hours at night and although I don't really mind, I wouldn't mind a bit longer sleep :)

Thanks.   

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 21:48:30 pm »
Audrey was 5.5 months, we were at my mums for Sunday lunch and she was a bit crabby so I sat her in the highchair and gave her  a piece of broccoli to play with. She started eating it! We did BLW and never looked back, broccoli is still her favourite food ;)

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 21:57:39 pm »
Here where I live the reccomendation is 4 months for cereals for ff babes, 6 months for bf babes.  If I had it to do again, I would skip grains entirely...and go right to veggies. 

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 21:58:59 pm »
She had reflux and it was miserable!!
That's such a shame.  FWIW my DS has silent reflux but would sometimes bring up liquids, water or milk, and sloppy foods or puree just wouldn't have been right for him.  The BLW approach suited him so well without all that extra 'wetness'.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 22:04:20 pm »
Here where I live the reccomendation is 4 months for cereals for ff babes, 6 months for bf babes.  If I had it to do again, I would skip grains entirely...and go right to veggies. 
They are recommending the opposite here now. 4 months for BF babies due to the immunological benefits of BFing and 6 months for FF babies as they dont have the same gut protection. 

I did 5.5 months with DD1 and 6 months with DD2. DD2 did many more finger foods as she was
Not fussed on spoon feedinG!

Offline *Sandra*

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 19:30:35 pm »
Thanks ladies.  If I do BLW doesn't she have to be sitting properly already?  She only just turned 4 months, I think she would fall forward in her seat!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 19:52:56 pm »
Here regardless of age the recommendations are tongue thrust reflex gone, sitting upright on own/semi-supported and showing an interest in food.  I used those guidelines more so than the age guideline as they are all so different. 

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 20:07:16 pm »
Yeh she needs to be sitting well (Audrey couldn't sit unsupported on the floor but was fine in a highchair) and have the hand-eye co-ordination to grab the food and bring it to her mouth for herself.

Offline *Sandra*

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 22:16:15 pm »
She's super strong but I just don't see it working well. 

Maybe I just don't feel like lugging the highchair upstairs and dealing with the mess :P

Thanks for all the insight, I think I'll give it some more time.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 21:19:52 pm »
We were at 19 weeks.  My son was a hungry fella.  In fact the 'test' they tell you to do in the UK, he managed to do at about 3 and a half months but I still waited.  It was a miserable time with us because his 4 month growth spurt started at 15 weeks and didn't stop.  I got very fed up with BF support people telling me "it will pass" and "all he needs is breastmilk until he's 6 months".  My Health Visitor said "tosh.  Keep breastfeeding him but a bit of baby rice and simple purees after 17 weeks will do no harm."

UK advice is 6 months but no earlier than 17 weeks and breastfeed.  I remember reading that only 2% of Mums make it to 6 months exclusive breastfeeding so if you chose to start a bit earlier, you're not in the minority!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 22:37:39 pm »
AAP recommends BFing until about 6 months of age
heather

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 23:53:11 pm »
I remember reading that only 2% of Mums make it to 6 months exclusive breastfeeding so if you chose to start a bit earlier, you're not in the minority!

Sorry for going off topic but I always read this statistic as being about the source of milk i.e. supplementing with or switching entirely to formula instead of being so much about solids! So even the mums who do wait til 6 months to wean, most of them wont be exclusively breastfeeding. I wonder which it is?

Offline nona

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 04:21:30 am »
i thought it was nothing else but breastfeeding (solids or FF)

i waited until 6 months bc 1. aap recommends exclusive BFing until about 6 months 2. feeding solids is a pain 3. the whole open gut theory thing - i wanted every drop to count!!!!
heather

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 19:54:42 pm »
The open gut thing is a theory, not proven.  In fact most research on at the moment is pointing to the direction of earlier weaning being a good thing if breastfeeding is alongside it. 

I think the only thing we can be sure of is weaning guidance will change.  What seems normal now will seem odd in 10 years and vice versa.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline nona

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 01:36:43 am »
3. the whole open gut theory thing -

right that's why i wrote "theory"!

i agree who knows what will happen down the road!

so where is the newer research? i want to ask my pedi about it.
heather

Offline *Sandra*

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 01:43:10 am »
It's all different from when I had my first 5 years ago! 

My Dr worked in Israel at one point and they gave peanuts early (we were doing that last) and had no peanut allergy.  He told 5 years ago we were going to change that.  Now we can supposedly start anything at 4 months.  There are way less restrictions.

Offline nona

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 02:23:23 am »
it is like when i was a baby!!!

yea my son has tree nut allergies and i'm sure DD will too :(  ...but i gave him almond cookies early - which he isn't allergic too though? so weird.
heather

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 13:46:31 pm »
http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/scdocs/doc/1423.pdf  This clarifies that some kids do need additional nutrition between 4 and 6 months (and I think my son was one of them). 

There are some projects ongoing which are looking at (and suggesting) earlier weaning alongside breastfeeding could help limit food allergies; here is a summary; http://blogs.food.gov.uk/science/entry/what_s_behind_the_development

The reason they're looking at it is because of a study, I forget where but government advice was to delay introduction of peanuts until 5 I think and then there was a huge spike in allergy which seemed to be as a result.

So it's probably fair to keep an open mind but most countries currently recommend 4-6 months I believe but delaying the common allergenic foods until after 6 months.  I am certain that will change but all you can do is ask the experts for advice and all they can do is go on the best available information they have.

Unfortunately a lot of gumf is out there and misinformation, partly because it's difficult to get randomised research on kids and all kinds of "theories" crop up.  I also worry that the insistence on 6 month exclusive breastfeeding bizarrely causes people to stop breastfeeding.  You hear loads of stories at 2-3 weeks old of people saying "My milk wasn't enough for him" and yes, that makes me sad because it's just a growth spurt and your milk is enough at that age but at 5 months maybe it's not?  Being dogmatic about the introduction of solids ended up with several people (health visitors included) suggesting I use formula. 

Anyway I am digressing...!  Sorry!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 13:53:29 pm by Lemonthyme »

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2012, 13:56:55 pm »

Offline Twitchitt

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 19:27:11 pm »
Pediatrician told us at 4-month appt that we can start solids anywhere between 4-6 months as long as there is some head control. So I decided to start him on rice cereal as he had been showing interest whenever I ate for quite some time. He is spoon feeding well, I have been feeding rice cereal twice per day approx 2 tbsp (dry plus 2.5 tbsp water to mix) per feed plus offering breast afterward. it does make him a bit gassy and the last few days he has hardly pooped.. I'm not too concerned as he is 17.5 lbs and always gained weight well but just wondering why this might be?

Offline brummum

• Showing Appreciation 56
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2012, 19:58:21 pm »
I agree with the suggestions of going by the individual baby rather than a set age. I waited for sitting with support, loss of tongue thrust reflex and interest in food. For us that ended up being at about 5 months. He was also 98th centile though. I have always found it a little strange that babies all crawl, walk, say their first word etc.. at completely different ages but are all expected to be ready for solids at exactly the same time? Think it also depends what your reasons are for starting, if it is because they seem ready and interested then fine, if it is because you (not you in particular but anyone) think it will help them sleep through the night then probably not! Incidentally, solids didn't make one bit of difference to our guys nocturnal activity!! Go with your mommy instinct.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2012, 17:07:34 pm »
I have always found it a little strange that babies all crawl, walk, say their first word etc.. at completely different ages but are all expected to be ready for solids at exactly the same time?

I agree COMPLETELY!  It's like in everything else we are expected to be flexible but not in weaning.  That said, the good thing out of all of this dogma is that by saying "wait until 6 months" it has prevented a lot of people weaning super early.  8-12 weeks used to be common when my eldest niece was a baby.

Offline *Sandra*

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2012, 02:45:35 am »
I've actually started giving her a bit of food. I gave her a piece of broccoli to hold and munch on the other day and some banana today.  I really think she likes sitting with the family and trying to eat.  I'm not doing it regularly but she when it's convenient and she seems interested I'm going for it.  She's 5 months today so I think that's alright. She's also sitting well and loves sitting so she enjoys sitting in the booster.  Too bad she smacks the tray in front of her more often than grabbing the food but I guess that's all part of the fun.