Author Topic: 10 mo night waking after illness  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Soriah

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 29, 2012, 19:51:29 pm »
Hi!

My 10 mo was waking up two to three times a night until last week when she came down with a cold and started waking up nearly every hour.  I'm afraid I may have started accidental parenting when I nursed her for comfort every time she woke up.  Although she's almost over her cold, she continues to wake up several times a night wanting to nurse.  I'm wondering what the best way is to go about getting her to sleep again.  Eventually (sooner than later, I hope:)) I'd like to wean her completely at night.  Is this where I use pu/pd??

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!
Soriah

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 10 mo night waking after illness
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 10:49:10 am »
Was she an independent sleeper before the cold? Was she waking 2-3 times at night for a feed still? I think if that's the case, then probably you do have a prop issue.

Its pretty normal for LO's to take a few days after we think they're "better" to get their sleep back on track - you know those few days when you're still feeling a bit under the weather but you get on with life because you're over being sick... those days they still have trouble sleeping, so its worth giving her a few more days.

Offline Soriah

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 12:02:34 pm »
Hmmm....it depends on how you define "indepenent".  Up until about two months ago, she would nurse to sleep.  Now I usually play with her in her crib, some times tapping her, until she falls asleep on her own.  But I have to stay with her, otherwise she stands up in her crib and cries until I come.  Before getting sick, she would usually wake up around 2 and 5:30 a.m. to nurse.  I understand that at this age, she can go through the night without eating but I wasn´t sure how to wean her at night.  Any suggestions?  PU/PD?

As for being sick, she still has a little cough and woke many times again last night.  I´ll take your suggestion and wait a few more days.  In the meanwhile, should I let her nurse each time she wakes?  It seems she´s looking for comfort but I´m afraid of creating a prop...

Offline becj86

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 22:00:19 pm »
Aye... I'm not entirely sure with this. My DS was an independent sleeper from 4 months til 11.5 months (and STTN from 6-11.5) except for the odd blip when routine needed tweaking. I started feeding again at night wakings at 11.5 months because he seemed to need the comfort for teeth, then the illness, then more teeth, then separation anxiety and he's just starting to STTN a few nights a week again now at 18 months. I guess its about what you're comfortable with. I don't know how different it is if LO hasn't been an independent sleeper really.

Personally in your situation, I would probably feed if she asks for it but not offer, if you see what I mean. Once she's better, I'd move to get her falling asleep without you there and then see how she goes self-settling at night (not rushing in but responding if she is crying other than a mantra cry).

Offline Soriah

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 14:44:23 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions!  The good news is that last night she woke up only twice, the usual.  My question now is how to get rid of these two night wakings?  Also, you suggested that I move to get her falling asleep without me there.  How do I do this?  Every time I leave the room, she starts to cry.  Thanks again!

Offline becj86

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 20:11:21 pm »
Have you read about the gradual withdrawal approach? Brief description of the main points here: Walk In/Walk Out vs. The Gradual Withdrawal Method (HOW TO CHOOSE)

Offline Soriah

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 14:32:46 pm »
No, but I read about it now.  Thanks!  I'll give it a try.  Are you suggesting that if she falls asleep independently, she won't wake up for me in the middle of the night?

Offline becj86

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 02:26:46 am »
Are you suggesting that if she falls asleep independently, she won't wake up for me in the middle of the night?
I'm suggesting if she has the skills she needs to settle herself independently, she may be better able to settle herself back to sleep in the night without you. Not necessarily that she won't want you or won't wake, just that you will know she has the skills to do it.

For us, just having the skill and keeping it going even with all our difficult sleep recently has meant that when DS has his mummy-cup full and is well rested, he does sleep through.