Author Topic: what are you feeding your 8 month old?  (Read 1545 times)

Offline nona

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
« on: November 01, 2012, 15:37:31 pm »
hi!

my DD prefers finger food, although i have some purees left over and so i'm trying to use them up...

feel so out of sorts as my DS did not eat as much finger food at this point that i can remember!

this morning i gave her some wheat toast, pumpkin/yogurt puree (didn't really like), blueberry/peach/pear puree and some chopped fresh pear - does that sound normal?

i have given her pasta too.

can i give her baked goods with whole egg in them? so confused with the egg. can i just go ahead and try some scrambled egg? yea i could give her egg yolk - but isn't there a chance their is egg whites on it? how do you really separate it KWIM?

i have not given her any meat yet though....i'm sure she would eat it though

i just feel like i never have anything ready for her to eat IYKWIM? are you making food one time then feeding baby it all week? i feel so unorganized.

she will eat almost anything. she grabs everyone's food off their plate and tries to stuff her mouth and if we are eating she also wants to be eating
heather

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
Re: what are you feeding your 8 month old?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 21:47:18 pm »
Hi hun,

We started off with introducing purees at 6 mos but very quickly C showed a preference for finger foods and began to refuse the spoon so we moved to more of a BLW approach ( not pure BLW but it worked for us). We just began to feed C whatever we were eating unless it was something completely inappropriate.

t that time we did these kinds of things:

Breakfasts: porridge with pre-loaded spoons or made into oaty fingers from the BLW book, toast cut into fingers, scrambled egg (we never avoided whites as it's not something I was told to do), Weetabix cereal and fruit.

Lunches- mini sandwiches with tuna, cream cheese, grated cheese, pasta salads, salad veg cut up, steamed veggies, tuna croquettes.

Dinners: steamed veggies, pasta, risottos, bolognaise sauce, mini meatballs, sausages (with skins taken off and cut into chunks), cauliflower cheese etc.

Fruits that were popular at that age: berries, melon in chunks, Orange segments with any tough pith removed, banana chunks etc.
Veggies: broccoli spears, loads of other spear shaped veggies and large chunks of courgette etc. C also developed her pincer grip early and loved peas etc.

So basically she had whatever we were having really but I always tried to have plenty of extra veggies to serve up.
The Gill Rapley BLW recipe book is really useful and has some tasty family food recipes that we still love to eat. C loves the cheesy spinach muffins and a couple of the soup recipes are her faves!

Hope some of my ramblings help!

*Nicola*

Offline nona

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 21:51:22 pm »
yes helpful! i think i am hung up that she is only 8 months and i can feed her almost anything! feel like i am jumping the gun! i'll just run with it!
heather

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 07:57:38 am »
I really enjoyed weaning this way. I obviously don't have another LO to compare to but I enjoyed sharing the same foods with C and meal times have always been a pleasure really. Now I'm pg with number 2 I plan to introduce finger foods right from the start and will probably skip purees altogether. To be honest, I hated all the chopping and freezing ice cubes of mush! :P

*Nicola*

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 14:29:46 pm »
Hey there
I also did BLW.  it seems to me if your LO wants the food everyone else is eating your should go for it, there are sometimes struggles later on trying to move from puree to fingerfood and family meals so it could help avoid those possible difficulties.
Although you can give an 8 month old almost anything I would (and did) alter my cooking.  I stopped using salt full stop.  The salt allowance for an under 1 is very small and will be used up in half a slice of bread or a spoon of canned fish in oil to make a sandwich or mix through pasta etc.
Also no honey until 12 months, no whole nuts, and avoid the choke size hazards of cherry toms, grapes etc by cutting in half or quarters until you feel confident that she is controlling the food well.
Eggs, there are different recommendations depending where you live.  In the UK you can give the entire egg from 6 months, they say to fully cook, no soft yolks.

There are tons of great ideas for finger food and recipes on the boards to inspire you.  Although DS and I ate basically the same at meal times I did also make batches of foods just for him, it's amazing how many snacks they can get through in a day!  Bean burgers, mini muffins, oaty bars, pancakes.  All staples here, all sugar free, include fruit or veg and all frozen so can be lifted out to defrost a few at a time.  it helps when you feel like there is never any food ready.

And those purees you have stashed.  Savoury or sweet puree used as a spread on toast or pitta bread or ass a 'base' spread for muffin pizzas, or mixed through cooked pasta.  Fruit puree can be used in oaty bars which are baked in the oven, very handy for out and about food.  Or even added to american style pancake mix.  So none of your time and hard work in the puree batch cooking needs to go to waste.

Weaning was one of the most enjoyable activities for me.  I just loved loved loved seeing him eat!

Offline nona

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 20:52:04 pm »
LOL creations! i think i would rather just nurse!!! yes, i know to avoid all those choking foods but thx for the review.

yea, i def need to get a freezer stash going.
heather