Author Topic: Having problems with feeding solids!!  (Read 1137 times)

Offline deliamar

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 02, 2012, 03:32:45 am »
Hi there,

My son is 6 and half months, he has started with solids for about 3 weeks now, but with no much success. He seems not interested in food, he will take about 5 spoons and then start complaining and get distracted with everything...and of course after that comes the crying.
For me this is all new as my first lo was a good eater so I don' t know what to do or how to improve this, the most he has is about 2 oz of food.

Can anyone give me some advice as I am afraid that the amount of food is not enough!

if there are any links please share them with me!

Thanks!!

D

Offline ~Sara~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 264
Re: Having problems with feeding solids!!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 03:53:21 am »
*hugs* At this age, food is really more about LOs exploring textures and tastes.  Solids aren't going to give him much nutrition at this point--and they really shouldn't detract from how much he's taking in a bottle or how much he's bfing.  Solids take a backseat to formula/breastmilk until 1yo.

When do you offer him solids?  Is it about 1h or so after a bottle? 

Also, most LOs at this age are doing only 1 meal/day with the solids as, again, it's more about exposing them to different flavors.  Most LOs don't get to a full 3 meals/ day until they're 7-8 months old.  You also said he's eating 2 ounces of food, which is actually quite a bit at this age.  I believe most LOs do 2-3 tablespoons per feed for a while and then gradually build up to larger portions between 9-12 months old.

Here are some link that I think you'll find useful and help allay any concerns:
What if my baby just isn't interested in solid food?
Introducing Solid Foods the Baby Whispering Way
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline deliamar

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 16:00:30 pm »
Sara,

Thanks for your message is really useful as I was a concerned that he wasn't taking much food, as I said my first lo was a good eater as this age thats why my questioning!!

The links are very useful as well.

I will see how it goes.

Thanks again.

D

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 03:36:36 am »
I always worry that my kids aren't eating enough, too.  But they give clues when they've had enough or want more.

Hope things improve and keep us posted :)
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Canadian_Mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 20:24:16 pm »
Hi D,
DS1 was exactly like your LO, I started solids at 6 months and he would have nothing of it.  He just wasn't interested and I was so frustrated!!  Eventually he started to take to the solids, never really had large amounts though until we started to move to 3-4 bottles between 9-12 months.  It took him a long time to learn and be interested so just keep offering and don't stress because this is supposed to be a fun time ;)  All I did was stress about it so I know it is a hard thing to do, lol.  He was actually off bottles completely by around 14 months and eating solids and drinking from cups/sippy cups, so it will happen!!  As long as he is getting a spoonful or two you are doing great!!
-Nadia
-Nadia

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 20:31:03 pm »
My DD2 was about 8 months before she was even a bit fussed on solids and she truly preferred finger foods to purees!