Author Topic: 15 wo night wakings  (Read 1260 times)

Offline txaggiemama

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
15 wo night wakings
« on: November 02, 2012, 03:36:32 am »
Hi all,

My DD is almost 16 weeks and for the past week or so she has started waking at 12, 2, & 4. Before she only woke at 4 and woke for the day at 7. I do a dream feed at 10:30. I'm starting to move her towards a 3.5-4 hr EASY. She has been having a lot of gas at night but seems to only release it when she starts to nurse. I've tried to resettle but she only gets more and more upset so I end up nursing her back down  :-\ Should I just nurse to get the gas out? Any suggestions on how to get past these night wakings? I'm totally fine with one, but three is pretty rough! TIA!
"Behold, Children are a gift of the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward." Psalm 127:3

Offline ~Sara~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 264
Re: 15 wo night wakings
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 04:07:13 am »
Has she hit her 4 month growth spurt yet?  If she's eating and going right back to sleep, and her appetite during the day is fine, I'd be tempted to see if things settle down again in the next few days.  If this is GS-related, have you tried cluster feeding her in the evening--in addition to still offering her the DF?  I know a lot of moms who have success with reverting to cluster feeds during GS.

When she has gas, does she seem to be in pain from it?

Lastly, if it's neither of those things, it could be routine related and she's OT; or the DF is disrupting her sleep pattern.  Sorry, that's a lot of things...just throwing everything out there ;)
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 05:06:58 am »
She has been having a lot of gas at night but seems to only release it when she starts to nurse.
Are you burping her after the dream feed? It's pretty normal for LO to want to feed to pass gas because feeding triggers a reflex that pushes everything along the gut. The problem with it though is that whilst you fix the immediate issue only to create the issue again in an hour or two... so best to get the gas out by bicycling legs, tummy massage (downwards and across in a rainbow shape from your left to your right (her right to her left) from hip up to ribs and back down again).

Offline txaggiemama

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 14:46:41 pm »
Hi! Thanks for the quick responses! Last night was an improvement  :), she only woke at 2 and 5:30 then up at 7:30, which is making me think it may be GS related. She does just eat and go right back to sleep, and she's been eating on both sides before going back down. I just didn't realize a GS could last this long (over a week and a half now!). She doesn't seem in pain with the gas, I just notice a lot is released while she nurses. I'll give the bicycling and rainbow rub a try though! I haven't had much luck with those in the past, but she also hasn't had as much gas as she does right now so it's worth a shot! I don't usually burp after the DF but will try to see if I can get some out before laying her down. Our routine during the day is pretty good, so I may give cluster feeding a try over the next couple of days. She usually nurses (EBF) at 4ish (it's varying right now since I'm trying to stretch out her EASY) with a catnap from 5:30ish-6:30. Would I feed at 6:30, bath, then again at 7:30 before BT? How many additional feeds do you add? Also, how long did the 4mo GS last for y'all? It seems never ending!
"Behold, Children are a gift of the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward." Psalm 127:3

Offline becj86

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 20:41:59 pm »
This GS is a doozy and can last this long. Nice that she's pushing the feeds later on her own :)

I cluster fed DS on and off til 9 months or so and just added one feed between the PM feed and BT feed - usually before bath. Worked a treat for us :)

Offline frac09

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 14:06:32 pm »
When I read this I thought, this is exactly what I'm going through! Only I wasn't sure what was up with my DS. But after reading this I am certain that it is a GS as well. It just started though, my main problem is I can't seem to get good feeds from him during the day (EBF)... I was thinking maybe he was ready to start stretching out this feeds but that didn't go to well yesterday. How many feeds does your DD do in a day? I have no problem trying to feed more during the day... But at night?!?! That doesn't work for me! ;)

Offline becj86

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 20:09:44 pm »
frac09 - Do you want to post your EASY on a new thread and we can have a look for you? I know DS needed his feeds further apart to take a good feed but there are ways and means of extending depending on the situation ;)