Author Topic: Wine ingredients???  (Read 5148 times)

Offline mandij08

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 03, 2012, 21:34:36 pm »
I have tried to google wine ingredients for sutter home wine, but nothing comes up. I know there is grapes and yeast in wine, but is there anything else? I had a glass of wine last nite, and DD had a little blood today. I have had a glass before and never saw blood before. So just curious if there is anything else in wine????  TIA

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Wine ingredients???
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 21:38:46 pm »
There are usually sulphites in wine - some bottles list it in the way food list alergens so I'm assuiming some people will react to it.

Just googled it -http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit/allerg/fa-aa/allergen_sulphites-sulfites-eng.php

Maybe that's what it was - although I wonder how much he would actually have got from you from one glass of wine :-\

Laura

Offline mandij08

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 23:05:43 pm »
There are usually sulphites in wine - some bottles list it in the way food list alergens so I'm assuiming some people will react to it.

Just googled it -http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit/allerg/fa-aa/allergen_sulphites-sulfites-eng.php

Maybe that's what it was - although I wonder how much he would actually have got from you from one glass of wine :-\

Laura

thank u for the link. I thought the same thing, Unless I missed something and didnt realize it. I had beef(small amt) 4 days ago. and no blood. would it take 3-4 days to show up??

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 22:12:13 pm »
I have noticed recently that some red wine has egg and/or milk on the allergen information. It is not something I have seen labelled on wine until recently.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline mandij08

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 01:00:53 am »
I have noticed recently that some red wine has egg and/or milk on the allergen information. It is not something I have seen labelled on wine until recently.

Kelly
Wow I didnt know that! I looked on the bottle and cant find anything at all. I had pink moscato, which I think is in between a white and red wine. I think they call it a rose wine??    I wish wines would be required to but the ingredients on it. Now I am afraid to have a glass again.     She hasnt had blood since then, very weird to me.  (milk and eggs are def not in my diet, I have been egg, nuts, milk, fish and soy free for 2mths and wheat free for 1mth) That might explain why she had blood if there was milk or/and egg in it.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 09:58:29 am »
Not all red wine has egg and/or milk listed so I don't think that all red wine has it in. I don't know if it is required by law to be labled in the uk or not. I will do a bit of research and see if I can find out.

Kelly

Offline Kirsten~

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 22:34:18 pm »
I assume you're talking about something traveling through your BM, right?
Wine can carry bacteria. In fact, anything fermented (wine, beer, saurkraut, etc) can carry bacteria. Most mass produced wines like Sutter Home would not contain much because of their high end equipment and quality control procedures, but it's possible that a wine will get oxidized due to too much air during manufacturing. There are several bacteria that can occur during fermentation, but I would be surprised if bacteria would affect BM (don't know for sure about that though). This is where sulfites come in. Any large producer, like Sutter Home, would likely be adding sulfites (or possibly a couple other chemicals in) to kill off bacteria and preserve the wine. 

I'm married to a former wine maker and have done quite a bit of home brewing, and I honestly cannot think of any reason how or why there would be eggs or milk in wine. It's possible that those warnings are on there as a cross-contamination concern, but I don't think the ingredients themselves would be in the wine.

And last possible factor could be sugar or honey. Sweeter wines like a rose are often back-sweetened with sugar or honey. Wine producers ferment all the sugar from the fruit, and then add sugar to sweeten the flavor. That allows them to them to reproduce the same tasting wine each time. There's really not much to wine...grapes or grape juice, yeast, sulfites, and sugar (maybe).

I don't know if any of these are the culprit for you, but figured if I laid out what I know it might trigger something for you? Good luck! Hope you enjoy some wine again soon!

Offline mandij08

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 00:20:38 am »
Yes I am talking about it passing through BM. It was really odd, havent had any blood since then. And havent had a glass of wine either lol I dont drink much, but once in a while I do have glass before bed and she never had blood before(with wine). Thank you for your response!! Sounds like you know your wine:) I  love wine  ;D  I dont drink much of it since she was born, but I really enjoy a glass of it every once in a while:)  I have lots of sugar every, it helps with the plain rice every day lol     I havent had honey in awhile, so maybe that is the culprit or just a freak day for her.          Thanks again for all that information!!!!       I dont know if you ever had ice wine, but that is what got me hooked on wine lol We had it in Canada many years ago and ever since I prefer wine over beer :)

Offline Kirsten~

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 04:33:44 am »
Sorry...I probably overloaded you with information! DH and I used to have beer and wine as sort of a hobby (that sounds bad).

That does seem really odd to have the blood. It may have just been a one off bad day for her. You are probably ok to still have a glass. I'm not sure how old your LO is or how often she is nursing, but just to be safe, I decided to wait until my DD is asleep before having any wine or beer. That way I know it'll process through my body before I need to nurse again. Plus then it's a little reward at the end of my day. ;D

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 19:06:02 pm »
I could not see any reason why wine would contain egg or milk either but it clearly states on some bottles of wine under the allergen info that it contains egg and milk or some with just egg. It does not say may contain.

Offline mandij08

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 21:56:00 pm »
yea I only have one glass right after I put her to bed, that way I know its out of my system before we nurse. She is waking a little earlier than usual so I havent  had a glass since that night, but when she goes back to waking later, I will be having a glass lol :)  Thanks for all the info!!! When I have that glass I'll let you know if the blood comes back, but hopefully it was just a weird day for her.