Author Topic: Ditching the bottles  (Read 4012 times)

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Ditching the bottles
« on: November 04, 2012, 03:41:45 am »
So... DD is gonna be 2 in a week's time. 

We have had a few issues with cow's milk (tummy troubles, disturbed sleep etc) so I am going to move from formula to an almond/coconut milk that I have found - fortified like cow's milk, almond based but with added coconut milk as well for the good fats ;)  She has a good balanced diet with loads of other dairy (no issues at all) so no concerns about the nutritional aspect of the formula now.

So, am I bet to make the milk transition first, then attempt to cut out bottles by offering milk in her sippy?  She is like many LO's - milk in a bottle and water in a sippy!  I have tried a large variety of sippy options - straw, bottle type, cup type etc... no difference in her feelings!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Ditching the bottles
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 05:05:53 am »
If it were me, I would do the milk transition first and worry about the bottles later (not speaking from firsthand experience though, both girls were on sippies by 6/7 months old).  My thinking is that the nutrition is more important than how it is getting in her, and as long as she isn't toting a bottle around all day, it isn't a big deal.  Spencer got very attached to the playtex two handled sippers, took ages to get her from that to a straw cup...we are still stuck at that stage, but I know she can and will drink from an open cup at daycare!
Heidi

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 19:50:18 pm »
LOL!  Alexandra is a fan of the same Playtex two handled ones ;)  We have so many!

as long as she isn't toting a bottle around all day, it isn't a big deal.

Not at all... she actually won't drink from a bottle herself - apparently holding a bottle is my job. She has 5 ozs just before her nap and takes about 4 mins to down it... BT is about 7 ozs and 5/6 mins :)

I was thinking the same thing... change the milk so I know that her refusal to take it in a sippy isn't taste related!

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 20:06:24 pm »
Oh, I really really must think about ditching DDs bottles  :-[ :-[ :-[.

Thing is she loves it, and I am being soft about it  ::). Now she has ditched her nap she only has one a day.

She can drink from anything - open cup, straw, straight from a bottle of pop she nicked when I wasn't looking, sports top etc - but just loves a milky bottle  :-[.

Megan was well past 2 before she stopped wanting me to hold the bottle for her - last few months she just has it wandering about before bed and drinks it herself.

Sigh. Do we have to get them to grow up??!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 20:17:08 pm »
. Do we have to get them to grow up??!

It's hard for me too!  My kid still has a paci as well.. was restricted to sleep but since she had croup this past week, I think it might be permanently stuck in her mouth again ::)

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 20:22:35 pm »
I'm with you, Kara. Milk in a bottle, water in a cup lol! And I'm the one who holds the bottle. Even though she could if she wanted to! I quite like it like that though ;)

I agree with the cow's milk and then the bottles! We' went to the cow's milk 3 days ago and the bottles will come soon...enough! xxx

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 20:25:53 pm »
No cow's milk here ;)  DD is intolerant.... but we do have a good alternative!

Offline snowbird

• LJ
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 21:59:43 pm »
Yeah - that's what I meant ;) Getting late! xxx

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 11:57:04 am »
I would also make the milk transition first and then the cup. I could not get M to take a cup of milk in the am for anything, just a no go so I just stopped. I figured she was getting enough calcium anyway from her diet. We kept with a pm bottle for a while and then one day I just tried with a straw cup and she took it and we have never looked back! My feeling is if they want it enough they will take it from a cup.....I guess if she will not take it then you could just offer it to her at meal times and that might work better.

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 12:54:12 pm »
Actually i would try to give her the different milk in a different cup. If it tastes different then she may not associate it with the bottle and happily take it from a different source. I would think it is worth a try anyway, if it doesn't work you can always stick it in the bottle. Jmho ;)

Offline snowbird

• LJ
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 16:24:01 pm »
Ooo - I like that idea xxx

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 23:11:21 pm »
Actually i would try to give her the different milk in a different cup. If it tastes different then she may not associate it with the bottle and happily take it from a different source. I would think it is worth a try anyway, if it doesn't work you can always stick it in the bottle. Jmho ;)

I did... she threw it at me ::)

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 23:35:46 pm »
I did... she threw it at me ::)
Oh. ::)

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 04:42:24 am »
And.. just to make me into a total liar - I tried it again tonight Jazz.. she happily did "cheers" with me and downed a few ounces with her dinner ::) 

Toddlers, they are a strange animal!

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 06:40:40 am »
And.. just to make me into a total liar - I tried it again tonight Jazz.. she happily did "cheers" with me and downed a few ounces with her dinner ::) 

Toddlers, they are a strange animal!
Yay! If it were me i would hide the bottles and just continue with that then, she'll have forgotten them completely in a few days.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 22:05:01 pm »
That's the plan... when I run out of formula ;)  I still have enough for a couple of weeks... will use it up and ditch the bottles in favour of her new milk in a sippy!