Author Topic: Weaning from formula to cow's milk soon...  (Read 1572 times)

Offline rayasunshine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Weaning from formula to cow's milk soon...
« on: November 05, 2012, 05:18:00 am »
Hi there in preparation for daycare in about 2.5months I just wanted to get some feedback about how to approach formula and bottle weaning and introduce milk.  My oldest (dd) was BF and loved cow's milk (and still does) and so there was no problem. DS on the other hand has given me a run for my money and so I just want to prepare myself.

I was thinking that in December I could start mixing cow's milk in his formula so that he could get used to the taste of milk but I have a couple of issues there.  I kind of want to get rid of the bottle by the time he starts daycare and therefore don't really want him to start drinking cow's milk in the bottle rather I'd like him to do that in a sippy.  I just don't know if he's going to like the taste of it. 

That said my other major issue is that he takes his bottle before his naps and bedtime and therefore associates sleep with it but is also capable of falling asleep without it.  He doesn't take his bottle properly anytime before his sleeps because he is too active and interested in playing than focusing on and being relaxed enough to drink his bottle.  And he doesn't hold his bottle so that's another reason I have to get rid of it because the daycare provider will not be able to give him his bottles before his naps when she has other kids to care for.

Anyway so that's that...any help around sorting out a plan would be great.  I'm starting to feel pressured to get this sorted out so that the transition to daycare won't be a huge issue.  Thanks so much!

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Weaning from formula to cow's milk soon...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 23:00:39 pm »
Given that you need to be rid of bottles first and foremost, I would start with offering his formula in a sippy...  once you get him off of bottles, slowly swap out the formula for millk (ounce by ounce) over a couple of weeks and he won't notice a thing ;)

I would start with doing the sippy of formula as part of wind down for nap and bedtime... maybe read a book while he sits on your lap and has his sippy of formula??

Think that could work?

Offline rayasunshine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 07:19:17 am »
Hi Kara,

That's a real good suggestion...I could definitely try that I just need to go find a sippy that he'll actually drink from.  I started offering him water in a sippy at around 6 months and had to stop because I found that he was spitting up more after he ate his solids.  But as of right now this is my best option so I will give it a go.  That said what do I do if he doesn't take his full feed in the sippy?  Obviously I can't put it in the bottle because that just defeats the purpose but I also don't want him to not have his milk.  Thanks again for your response and I'll go out and buy a couple of sippy cups tomorrow and start this process.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 04:04:41 am »
That said what do I do if he doesn't take his full feed in the sippy?  Obviously I can't put it in the bottle because that just defeats the purpose but I also don't want him to not have his milk.

For now, offer one milk feed in a sippy and the others in the bottle so that his intake isn't reduced too much... does he still have a wake up milk feed?  He is hungriest at wake up so this would be the easiest ;)

Offline rayasunshine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 04:29:12 am »
Hi Kara,

Ok I'll offer one feed in a sippy and see how that goes...so basically if he doesn't take it then I leave that feed for what it was? His milk feeds are usually 1hr after his solids and right before naps and bedtime and he doesn't eat his solids until it's been about an hour since he's been awake (both my kids are like that- not hungry I guess right away I guess). 

He is so not interested in a sippy cup at all...the straw one he just bites the straw and the platex one he doesn't really do anything with.  I have a nuby one that has a nipple and then I just bought an avent one that claims to help with the transition from bottle to sippy so we'll see if that cup does what it claims lol. 

Anyways I'll suck it up and try this weekend and see how it goes...thanks for the help!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 16:19:45 pm »
My DD hasn't had a wake up milk for ages either ;)  Though she does have her oatmeal about 20 mins later..

The best advice I have with a sippy is to choose one and stick with it... changing them around makes LO less likely to use it.  I made the same mistake - I sat down and tried each sippy myself to see how they were in terms of flow etc...   I had Avent ones since I used Avent bottles - found it really added a tonne of air to the liquid as you drank... not a fan.  Also didn't like the Nuby - it was really hard to use... the Playtex Sipster was the best I found - easier to hold with the double handles and flow was great!  Stuck with it by having it around all the time with water to give DD a chance to use it - only took a few weeks and she was as good as gold!

Offline rayasunshine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 07:54:30 am »
Hi Kara,

So I started just using the avent one at meal time and he actually drank milk from it but as you mentioned your issues with I figured I would have the same issues as it is a fast flow and he would probably end up choking on his milk.  After I read your post I re-introduced the playtex sipster and he managed to suck milk out of it.  So far so good...just offering him the milk at each of his meals. He isn't holding his cup though lol, he's trying to so it's a work in progress.

I haven't actually started using the sippy in place of one of his bottles because his sleep has gone a bit wonky and I wanted to get that sorted out first (I think he's already starting the 2-1 nap transition :o).  I know I should just suck it up and do it but I'm just scared to mess up a good thing.  I feel like I'm forcing my little guy to give up something I normally wouldn't do prior to his first bday.  I guess I'm trying to come to grips with the fact that he's going to be in daycare soon and I'm starting to freak out a bit. 

Anyways I will do the switch, I will...start next week...thanks for the support.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 23:09:50 pm »
Hugs hun.. my DD still has two bottles a day and she is 2! 

PS: the average age for the 2-1 is a year ;)  DD made the leap at 11 months 1 week!

Offline rayasunshine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 18:27:57 pm »
Hey Kara,

So I tried his sippy cups and I feel like for him to suck out 7oz of formula from the sipster is really gonna hurt his mouth. I was going tostart him today except he's cutting a tooth and is absolutely miserable so I decided against starting it today. I've been trying to get him used to having the sipster at his meals but he's not at all interested in using it. I'm just feeling guilty about this whole bottle thing. I'm actually thinking about asking my daycare provider to try to give him his bottle before naps in the communal area and he can take what he wants and then phase the bottle out later...I don't know which way to go with this...

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 23:17:34 pm »
If you don't feel that he is ready yet, trust your instincts.

I have tried to cut DD's bottle as well... and well, she is 2 years old and still has a small one at nap and another one at bedtime.. she will wean when she is ready and so will your DS. 

There is a point where the nutrition is more important that the method of getting it into him ;)