Author Topic: Frequent NW, I'm getting desperate!  (Read 1481 times)

Offline missmom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: November 07, 2012, 15:09:41 pm »
My son has never been a sleeper.  The longest he has ever slept is 4 hours and he's only done that a handful of times.  Usually at night he's up 6-8 times, and if it's any less its because one of his NW last for an hour or longer

First we figured it was reflux but medication hadn't changed his sleeping at all.  He's on a PPI and zantac and no longer shows any symptoms or signs of discomfort.

Then we figured it was a sleep association since he used a pacifier and was held and rocked to sleep for the first four months of his life.   We got rid of his pacifier two weeks ago and he seemed to let it go without too much trouble (although he has started sucking his thumb) and now he puts himself to sleep for all naps and bedtime in his crib, usually without too much fuss.   

He hasn't had any teeth come in yet although we're watching for them.  We've tried Tylenol in case there was discomfort, but it made no difference.

His routine is:

6:00                   up and breastfeed
6:15-7:00          A
7:00 -7:30         breakfast solids (cereal and fruit)
7:30 - 8:00        A
8:00 - 9:00        story and nap (30 min)
9:00 - 10:00      A
10:00 - 10:30    breastfeed
1030 - 11:00     A
11:00 - 12:00    Story and nap(30 min)
12:00 - 12:30    Lunch (fruit or vegetables)
12:30 - 1:30      A
1:30 - 2:30        story and nap(30 min)
2:30 - 3:00        breastfeed
3:00 - 4:30        A
4:30 - 5:00       story and nap (30 min)
5:00 - 5:30        A
5:30 - 6:00       diner
6:00                  bath
6:10                  massage
6:20                  diaper and pjs
6:30                  breastfeed
6:50                  story
7:00                  bed
up at 8:00 (resettled 5 min)
up at 9:00 (resettled 5 min)
up at 11:30 (nursed, up 30 min)
up at 1:30 (nursed up for 30 min)
up at 3:30 (settled 5 min , played for 10 min, settled 30 min, nursed just in case hungry ( not really interested), settled 25 min, finally fell back asleep.  came very close several times, fought like crazy to stay awake
6:00 up for the day

His naps are almost always 30 minutes. We've having some success with WTS and he's had a few 1h15min naps but it's still pretty touch and go

We offer 4 tbs each of cereals, fruit, and veg and he seems to really enjoy it (but all of it doesn't make it into his mouth). Mainly just introductory stuff, sweet potatoes, peas, banana and avocado.  He hasn't had any reactions to any of them.  There don't seem to be any digestion issues, no gas or constipation. 

We've had him checked for allergies, asthma, and apnea and he seems to be in perfect health.

I'm am at my wits end! I have no idea what to try next and I'm desperate for some sleep. Please help me!

Offline krunnersmith

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 15:46:17 pm »
I am curious to see what advice others have on this as well, my LO is doing the exact same thing, and has been for 2 months. Driving me nuts!!! He has to need more sleep!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Frequent NW, I'm getting desperate!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 03:04:51 am »
Hi, how old is he?

Offline missmom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 07:58:52 am »
He's six and a half months old

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 03:49:39 am »
OK, at 6.5 months, you want him to be on 2 solid naps a day, instead of more, shorter ones.  He should be able to handle being awake for longer periods in the day, closer to 3 hours at this point -- but that's not a jump you want to make all at once.  I'd stretch his A time out by 15 minutes every 2-3 days or so until you get to about the 3 hour mark.  This should give you some much longer naps -- closer to 1.5-2 hours.  There are some sample routines at the bottom of this link for babies of his age: chronological EASY samples, 4-6 months

Offline mummabearm

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 01:49:56 am »
My lo is 8mo and I am desperate too!! He wakes up to a dozen times a night and I have no idea. He is a short napper also. He self settles himself to sleep. I am very interested to see people's responses to this post!

Good Luck XX

Offline missmom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 02:12:03 am »
I've tried keeping him up for three hours, he's okay for the first segment of the day, but starts to fall apart as the day goes on. I just can't get him to nap for more than 30 minutes. I've tried WTS with little success.  I think his nights would be better if his days were better, but nothing I've tried is working. 

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 03:13:31 am »
I've tried keeping him up for three hours, he's okay for the first segment of the day, but starts to fall apart as the day goes on.
This sounds like OT creeping in as the day goes on.  It's too hard for them to go from 2 hours one day to 3 hours the next -- it has to be really gradual -- so for 3-4 days you'd do 2 hours 15 minutes, then 2 hours 30 minutes for another 3-4 days, and so on.  What is he like when he wakes up from his 30 minute naps?