Author Topic: What would you eliminate?  (Read 2609 times)

Offline CCCmom27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 27
What would you eliminate?
« on: November 09, 2012, 02:18:30 am »
I have another thread below, but now I'm having trouble deciding what we should eliminate. 

So DS2 has had chronic ear infections for about 6 months now.  All started when we went off reflux meds.  I'm to the point where I will do anything to not have to get him tubes.  I tried dairy free at the end of the summer but not really fully.  So I'm ready to have him go dairy/gluten free to see if my some amazing miracle it helps.

By looking back at my previous posts (thank you BW!) I realized he started eating scrambled eggs almost daily the end of April.  He had the first ear infection end of March following a cold.  Now I'm wondering if I should do an egg free trail since that's the only thing that wasn't introduced prior to all the ear infections (I think he got the next one in May).  He did eat eggs in baked goods, etc but not scrambled and almost on a daily basis...I read egg allergy can cause nasal inflammation.  Sounds to me that could contribute to ear infections but maybe I'm just trying too hard to find a fix that isn't tubes  :-\  I was going to go dairy/gluten free tomorrow but maybe I should do dairy/egg free instead?  He's eaten carbs forever.  Should I call the ped and see about doing food allergy tests or would elimination be better?  WWYD?

Offline abbysmomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 02:40:37 am »
If his only symptoms are reflux and ear infections, and there are no other signs like hives, wheezing, facial swelling, lethargy, vomiting, excessive drooling/runny nose within two hours of eating, then chances are allergy testing won't show you anything. In fact, even if you have the classic food allergy symptoms, the testing may still be negative (or there may be false positivrs). In office testing only supports what you're seeing instead of verifying. Anyways, just thought you might want to know this before going to your doctor. You should probably still go, but hopefully the elimination works AND it's something he grows out of. Good luck!

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
Re: What would you eliminate?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 21:49:54 pm »
When I was younger, I had chronic ear infections and glue ear. A dairy elimination diet was suggested when I was about 5 years old. I didn't do it though, so don't know if it would've helped my situation. From what I recall, the allergy testing available at the time was not going to tell us much and dairy was the first one to try as it was most commonly associated.

FWIW, I was recommended to get tubes too and wish mum had done that - she heard it was inconvenient when swimming/washing hair so didn't let me have the tubes. I now have permanent hearing loss from the scarring after all the infections I had year on year.

I don't know enough about it to say to go with dairy/egg or dairy/gluten but elimination could well be the way to go. Not sure how you tell what's working though when the infections aren't continuous.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 21:39:42 pm »
Hi, I think the general concensus that it is prob the dairy that can cuase mucous. If your gut feel is the egg then I would start with that.

Offline CCCmom27

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 00:52:21 am »
FWIW, I was recommended to get tubes too and wish mum had done that - she heard it was inconvenient when swimming/washing hair so didn't let me have the tubes. I now have permanent hearing loss from the scarring after all the infections I had year on year.

How awful :(  I certainly don't want DS to loose any hearing, but I don't want to jump to tubes without trying everything possible first.  It just seems odd to me that he hadn't had one for almost a year and then continues to get them.  The morning eggs are the only difference I can think of other than trying to wean reflux meds.  I went ahead and cut out dairy and eggs.  I think it will have to be a long term thing to see if it helps.  I've been doing so much reading that says chronic ear infections are a lot of time due to food allergies.  One thing I have noticed is he hasn't gotten hiccups in the past few days (knock on wood).

We do have an appointment with an ENT for Friday, and they will check his hearing (not sure how that's accomplished with a 19 month old!).  I may call the ped tomorrow and see what she thinks about allergy testing.