Author Topic: Stop dreamfeeding or not?  (Read 996 times)

Offline AJK

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: November 09, 2012, 22:30:38 pm »
Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on whether or not to keep the dream feed going. I am mum to a 3 month old who has been a pretty good sleeper and still is considering his age. On his own he seemed to get hungry every 3 hours on the dot. I started into a baby whispering routine of 3 hours and have been starting my day at 7am and putting him down at 730pm. I tried to dreamfeed him earlier on, maybe around 2 months and he wouldn't eat. He was so tired and I couldn't get him to feed either by breast or bottle. So I gave up trying. His regular night sleep is:
730pm in bed
sleeps until 12midnight
wakes at 3/330 for a feed
sleeps until 7am

His long stretch is from 7-midnight and so after talking to some friends they encouraged me to try the dreamfeed to see if he would sleep until 3am and straight through the usual midnight wake up. I have been dreamfeeding at 1030 for the past 6 nights and now my little guy is waking up at 1am AND 5am and then I wake him to start the day at 7am. I feel like it's worse since the dreamfeed because he's getting an extra feed, but still waking up twice in the night. I thought maybe it was habitual waking so I tried to soothe him just sucking my pinky, but he wouldn't settle and when I feed him at 1 and 5 he is hungry so I'm definitely not going to stop since tha'ts what he seems to need.

I'm just wondering if I should continue the dream feeding or stop and see if he will naturally drop the midnight feed? two friends that did the dreamfeeding exactly as I am said that eventually the 1 and 5am feeds morph into one 3am feed and then he should drop the 3am feed altogether and sleep from 10pm -7am.

Any advice?
Thanks!
AJK

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Stop dreamfeeding or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 02:05:39 am »
Its your call really. I found I had to stay up for the DF and was more tired missing out on the 2hr sleep I lost waiting for 10/10:30 to come around than just going to bed at 8/8:30 and getting up the twice and letting DS push his feeds out himself. If you're used to going to bed at 10/10:30 anyway, you might find he does morph those two wakings into one at 3am or so. You might find that doesn't happen because the DF is disrupting his sleep.

Offline AJK

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 04:45:15 am »
Yeah, it's a hard call. I'm usually awake until 10pm, but no later. Going to bed at 730pm is too early for me as I have to make dinner, etc. I think I'll try it for another while and cross my fingers that it'll morph into a 3am feed.

Thanks for your thoughts.