Author Topic: How to entertain spirited 3 year old boy while caring for 5 month old  (Read 5734 times)

Offline APBK

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
I am at such a loss of how to entertain my 3 year old! He could live outside but we have a foot of snow outside, it's cold and I have a 5 month old too who obviously can't be outside very long.

I have been scouring the forum for indoor play ideas which I have a great list started so THANK YOU but my ds is borderline ADD and cannot sit still for anything! He falls off the kitchen chair while playing crafts! That's how fidgety he is! If I am not paying attention to him he finds some way to get into things he shouldn't. I obviously have chores to do during the day so I can't always focus on him. And a 5 month old to feed, change, put down for naps, etc.

We live 45 mins from a city so it's not easy to go to play centres, museums, etc. while sticking to a 5 month easy. I am also very fearful of having both ds in public by myself. How do I nurse my ds2 when ds1 is doing something he shouldn't in public when he out of reach of me? I don't have a toddler harness but have thought I should have one. We have double stroller but ds1 gets too fidgety to sit in it long.

I am just at a total loss! And I see moms with 4 boys in the grocery store and I want to hug them and say "you are my hero!".

How do you moms out there in my position do it?

How do you entertain your 3 year old son (and I emphasize son bc girls just seem to not be as crazy!) at home and outside the home?

Offline lilisuze

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 46
Re: How to entertain spirited 3 year old boy while caring for 5 month old
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 16:35:25 pm »
its very hard, btdt! Its getting better now he can work the DVD player, ipod and his mobigo lol!

For us, the transition to imagination pay was by far the best. I encouraged making castles from boxes, cafes from a small footstool and tablecloth, den out of a golf umbrella and blanket etc.... Then i could entertin little one, and instruct him what to put into or do with the imaginiation area (clip pegs on the box takes ages for example!)

HTH a bit
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess

Offline carolina_bug

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 14:32:18 pm »
Hi there.  I too have a spirited toddler and a little one to look after.  My DD is 2.5 and VERY active and my DS is almost 6 mts.  It's so hard to find things for them to do and still stick to the EASY for the LO.

When DS is napping, I try to take DD outside in the yard and just keep the monitor on so I can hear him.  I have an "activity tub" that I sit in the middle of the kitchen floor and fill it with sensory things.  Some days it's water and bubbles, or rice, lentils, kidney beans, coloured pasta; leaves and pine cones.... etc. 

I find that play dates with other moms are helpful too.  That way my DS can nap at the friends house, or here if the friend comes here with her kids.

Good luck!

Offline :: ANA ::

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Previously n&a's mommy
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 21:02:06 pm »
Check this out:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Play-at-Home-Mom/174614952594331?sk=photos_albums

I'm sooo inspired by her! not only by her millions of ideas but also by her philosophy of play...
I think you'll love it.

HTH!
Ana