Author Topic: how to prevent 5am EW developing in 8 mnth old  (Read 916 times)

Offline Raroo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
how to prevent 5am EW developing in 8 mnth old
« on: November 13, 2012, 11:23:10 am »
Hi everyone
So we have had some big sleeping issues with my almost 8mnth LO but now they tg seem to have resolved!! A new problem now which is much smaller than the 2 hourly NW'w we were having is as follows. LO goes down between 7 and 8 for the night and sleeps great until about 5ish am. I give her a dream feed of 180ml formula ( i bf other feeds but df is ff) and then I dont hear from her until 5ish. So I get up and go and feed her water from a bottle, no milk and then put her back into her cot. But she is then very unsettled until wake up at 7/7 30. She plays a bit and then cries till I come and then will fall asleep for a bit but then wake up again. Its as if she is ready to start the day at 5. If I give and bf her like I did this morning at 5 30 then she falls back asleep great until 7 30 or so. IF I give in at 6 she goes straight back to sleep until 7 30. I really dont want this EW to develop into a sleep problem where she gets up at 5 for the day and will not resettle. How can I nip this problem in its bud and prevent this from happening?
Here is a rough sample EASY incase that will help with problem solving!
7 30: WU and bf
A: play around
E: solids
S: 9 30. LO still can only do a 2 hr A time first stretch. Nap is either 1 hour/1.5 hrs or 2 hours. I will carry on from todays EASY
W.U 10 30
E: bf and solids
A: play
S: 1 30
W.U 3
A: play
S: might have 15 min cat nap at about 5 30
A: bath and bedtime routine
S: 7 7/30
E: 10 30 df 180ml ff
TIA!

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: how to prevent 5am EW developing in 8 mnth old
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 10:37:05 am »
LO still can only do a 2 hr A time first stretch
This is probably your culprit. Pushing this A time should help discourage the EW and hopefully get rid of that pesky catnap which should probably have been gone a month or two ago.

Offline Raroo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 12:40:29 pm »
Hey thanks for reply
New schedule we have implemented is as follows
7 30 wu
3 hr A time
10 30 till 12 nap
12 A time for 3 hrs
Nap 3 till 4 30
A time and bedtime routine
Bed at 7 15ish
Df at 10 or if wakes up at 9 something just give feed then
Then usually up from 2am every hr or hr and half settles usually after a bit of water until about 5ish then harder to resettle unless I give bf. why are we still getting these nw's?? Naps are  generally great in the day. Just put LO in cot and she puts herself down. She is teething but she has been for 6 months and probably alot longer. I can't wake up 5 times a night for the next couple of years. Any other suggestions??

Offline becj86

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 12:28:51 pm »
How long have you been on that routine?

Has her milk intake changed? That sound like hunger wakings (or pain meds worn off?)

Offline Raroo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 16:45:52 pm »
She has been on EASY since 4 weeks but we have only started extending A times to 3 hours in the past couple of weeks. I don't know how much milk she has nee taking because we Bf besides for the 1 df at night which is a 180-220ml ff. If LO is on 3 solid meals a day and about 5 feeds a day can it still be hunger?

Offline Raroo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 22:26:12 pm »
So i think i have just realized a cycle we go through about every month. First week is great LO is on great EASY, great sleeping and great mood. The next week things start getting a bit off colour. Nw's and irrregular napping, bad moods. The next week is even worse which is the week we are in right now.  LO has countless nw's and cries alot. LO gets high grade fever and after a couple of days a new tooth cuts through. This same cycle has been going on since about 5 months but I only just realized this today! It makes me feel much better knowing that LO is not irrational with her easy but genuinely has a need during the difficult period. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with the 3 out of 4 difficult weeks in the month. I give nurofen as needed but this doesnt seem to help that much. LO hates cold on teeth. Any other suggestions on dealing with the many sleepless teething nights?. Thanks!!

Offline becj86

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 09:41:51 am »
Have you tried a topical teething gel? Alternating ibuprofen/paracetamol so the pain relief is relatively constant?

At 8 months, she's probably having that good week at such low A times because she's tired from the other 3 weeks. I reckon if you push her A times further, she may have a longer 'good spell' each month... Sample EASY Routines from 0 - 13mths+ Average A times and "Is my baby ready to increase A time?"

Offline Raroo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 22:04:31 pm »
Teething gel didn't help but I'm going to try alternating as you suggested. Thanks! And going to work really hard on extending those A times! Will let you know if it helps! Thank you so much!