Author Topic: Sometimes fussy eater - offer more options or not?  (Read 1120 times)

Offline dumbmum101

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Sometimes fussy eater - offer more options or not?
« on: November 13, 2012, 21:45:27 pm »
Hello,

My LO (9 months old) is a pretty good eater generally but will often try 5 spoonfuls of a home-cooked meal then start refusing. I know she's capable/needs more solids as she's on a good routine and therefore it will have been a while since her last bottle/snack.

She basically will just stop eating as she doesn't really like the meal option. I have been giving her other options in order to get the nutrition into her (refuses spaghetti bolognaise, give her cauliflower cheese - if she refuses this too I generally give her a small amount of yoghurt, custard or rice pudding as dessert). But at what point should I stop giving her multiple options and adopt the 'eat what your given or it goes in the bin' approach?

Trying to avoid her turning into a 'manipulative'/fussy eater whilst still respecting her likes and dislikes... When we started weaning at 6 months, tried introducing foods one at a time and there were no obvious dislikes really. Apart from porridge... She'll eat a recipe happily, enthusiastically even on one day, then refuse it a few days later... No rhyme or reason to it that I can see...

When she's really into a certain recipe (or more usually an Ella's Kitchen pouch) she will put her dinner away in 10 mins - no bother.

She's happy being spoon fed and is also happily trying out loads of finger foods at the moment...

Offline <Catherine>

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
Re: Sometimes fussy eater - offer more options or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 12:25:54 pm »
Hi :)

Sorry you've not had any replies. Have you seen this thread - To force or not to force - that is my question ? It's a simliar situation so might be worth a read.

At this age milk is still the important part of her diet, solids are just for 'trying' really and are not that important yet so try not to worry too much :)
Catherine x

Offline Papaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 12:37:43 pm »
I also find my LO has hungry days and not-so-hungry days. They are very good at self-regulating what they need - so even though you know she might easily eat 10 spoons some days, it doesn't mean she needs to every day. I was told to look more at what my LO was eating over the course of a week, rather than a particular day. I planned meals as a whole (and still do), so I often did offer a small piece of fruit/yoghurt etc after the rest of the meal, but I offered it whether she'd eaten everything else or nothing - it's not a special option because she hasn't eaten, iyswim.

And as Catherine says, milk is the most important source of nutrition at this age. Basically if you're offering a variety of healthy foods and your LO generally tries stuff and is happy and active, I wouldn't worry at all!

xx
*Nuala*

Offline dumbmum101

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 15:57:16 pm »
Thanks. I've started offering just one option with a small dessert after regardless of how much she has eaten for her 'first course'.

Today she has a fever and has eaten virtually nothing, but upped her milk intake, so I suspect a tooth is on the way  :P

For some reason I'm very relaxed about her not eating today. I seem to be very chilled out when it comes to illnesses etc... Funny what we take in our stride and what we fret about, isn't it?

Thanks again ladies. X