Author Topic: Lactose free formula  (Read 1942 times)

Offline michelleerin

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 14, 2012, 12:35:55 pm »
Hi,

I have posted a few differnt times about different issues with my baby now 14 weeks. He is still really unsettled, wind, reflux etc. Wont sleep longer than 2 hours at night, Saw my doctor on Monday and said to try Lactose free, as maybe he allergic as symptoms seem to be he is having? Wondering how long i should stay on this, and also do i use infacol while using this formula?
Also he still feeding every 3 hours during the day, maybe 4/5 oz its s struggle to get him drink the 5 oz, as he crying, wind. Really am lost as what to do, and the nights are sooooo bad.
Sleep at 7.30
Df 10.30 4 oz
1am wake
2/3 am wake
3/4 am feed
5.30 wake
6 .30ish wake for the am

All the times he wakes during the night we give him the soother shush pat, or pick up and cuddle, could he be so unsettled as he has been allergic to the formul?

Please any advice greatly appreciated.
Michelle

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Re: Lactose free formula
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 13:52:42 pm »
Hi Michelle,

Lactose intolerance is really rare in babies.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_lactose-intolerance_1201468.bc

It is more likely that he would be milk protein intolerant (MPI) so you may want to try hypoallergenic milk

Does my LO have food intolerances?

How old is he?
Elise

Offline michelleerin

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 19:45:18 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for reply. He is 14 weeks, i have started him on the lactose free formula yesturday. Now im sooooo unsure what to do. I read the links below, and he does match a lot of the symptoms. I wonder what is the best now for him?
Thanks Michelle

Offline hbush77

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 20:31:53 pm »
Hi there

you poor thing its awful when you dont know what to do for the best. we took our lo to doc with a rash on his face, head arms and chest and she said it was lactose intolerance, told us to but the formula and put 2 drops of liquid saccharin in it because it tastes bad! we live in spain and its a little behind the times...anyway i wasnt happy with the saccharine thing and after researching on the net cos the price is triple for the formula i decided he wasnt lactose intolerant as its just so rare and he hadnt had any improvement...so I thought maybe he was Milk protein intolerant as he had a lot of the symptoms so we changed to hypoallergenic formula...

we are now in a vicious formula changing cycle..the hypoallergenic formula seemed to give him really awful acid reflux where he would cry and spit up, his eyes would be watering..not very nice..so after coming across some images of milk rashes on the net which looked exactly like his rash we decided to switch back to aptamil as he didnt have the reflux spells with that.........................now however he seems very windy and uncomfortable and his rash is slightly worse etc so im going round and round in my head worrying about formulas....

we cant get an intolerance test yet so its just getting through it....im wondering if its him just adjusting back to the aptamil thats making him windy but ive not been able to put him down without him waking for 2 days almost...

anyway I would say to try hypoallergenic milk over lactose free first....someone mentioned to me that you may need to use thickeners if your baby has reflux but we cant get them here..I would have carried on with the hypoallergenic if we could have tried thickeners..

good luck hun
xxx

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Lactose free formula
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 21:51:04 pm »
I would move to the hypoallergenic milk as well... give it at least 2 weeks as this is how long it takes for the milk protein to be out of his system :)

Offline michelleerin

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 08:46:52 am »
Thanks so much for the advice, i really hope this does improve. Best of luck with your baby, hope it settles soon.