Author Topic: How much should my 11 month old be eating?  (Read 8499 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Re: How much should my 11 month old be eating?
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2012, 18:50:54 pm »
And did you say "What do you mean you FORGOT to feed the baby?"

LOL :). DH didn't even NOTICE. I got home and said how come there's a bottle in the fridge? OOPS, I forgot to give it to him this morning  ::) DS was a happy baby all morning, and ate fantastically well at lunch, so luckily for DH these overweighed the fact that he FORGOT ;)

A 5am bottle is hard to wean IMO because the resettling is so hard at that time in the morning.  You might want to try a W2S or even a GW to reduce the oz and make up for them at morning WU.  But if you can go cold turkey then all the faster.

That is very interesting creations and I am so afraid of that. Then would you say it might be a good idea to go cold turkey on the first feed? and keep that one (TBH I could totally live with a 5AM feed, if there was no other NF). Or continue how I was doing, which is to drop the oz gradually on the first NF, and if I get a 5AM feed, I just skip the feed when he wakes (he gets breakfast and 2 oz of formula anyway for his digestive enzyme supplement).

Elise

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2012, 19:42:20 pm »
Ha!  Now you're asking something there.
Who knows what will suit your DS the best.  Kara's logic is sound, to keep the first NW feed so that you know he's had a feed and doesn't need the 5am.  Although at 11 months, and with a good amount of day milk plus solids (even limited) I'd say he doesn't need the night feeds at all now.  I think skipping that morning milk on DH's watch shows that he can go without some of the milk and you've said this yourself.
Me, well I'd go for a GW on one then the other, because I'm just not good at cold turkey, I've always been too afraid of the consequences.  It doesn't need to take long to GW maybe a few days for the 5am because there will be a feed not long later.  Even the first NW feed doesn't need to take more than 7-14 days really.
So - my answer is I don't think it really matters, just choose one and get started.  Try not to think about it too much and take a spare bottle or sippy with water in as a back up after the reduced milk.
The thought and planning is often more scary than the real thing xx

One rule I gave myself on a wean feed (the DF) was not to offer more than he took in any one night.  ie if I usually offered 180ml but one night he only took 90ml then the next night I only offered 90ml rather than just a wean reduction of 150ml.  Hope that makes sense.  For me it got things moving quicker and felt reassuring that DS had taken less and still lived :)

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2012, 19:56:46 pm »
The thought and planning is often more scary than the real thing xx

I know... I think it shows in my posts that I am utterly terrified of doing this.  :-[ :-[ I've been putting it off forever, but now it's time. I'll make a plan with DH tonight and we'll stick to it. At this point, I don't think he NEEDS the NF. Either he wants to see us (I'm back to work too now) or he's just gotten used to it. There was a time when if he'd eat he wouldn't wake up to feed but somehow in all the chaos I guess we lots that.  :-\

Elise

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2012, 20:05:36 pm »
Deep breath and take the plunge.
I'm sure it won't be as bad as you think.
xx