Author Topic: 6.5 month old refusing milk feeds  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Pili2

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 15, 2012, 08:52:21 am »
I'm running out of ideas here so I hope someone can help.

About three weeks ago DS started refusing his bottles. I thought it was due to his cold and teething so I just let him take what he wanted and top him up with water and cereal besides his solids. Now though, he has not had a bottle for the last 24 hours - not a drop. He refused his afternoon bottle yesterday, then his nighttime bottle. I even tried to dreamfeed him and even asleep he refused. He woke up 2am (though this is not unusual he's a bad sleeper) I thought he might be hungry as he hadn't had his bed time feed, again he refused. He refused his morning bottle even though he seemed really hungry. He had the entire 7oz mixed with cereal and would have taken more if I had let him.

I'm not sure what to do now. I'm using Avent bottles and just bought size 4  to see if it helps, bit it has made no difference. The same thing happened with breastfeeding about 4.5 months, he just started to completely refuse, which is how we started bottle feeding. 

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: 6.5 month old refusing milk feeds
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 23:37:42 pm »
hmm... think he could be constipated?

If not, I would stop solids and see if that makes a difference... he could be holding out for solids instead and at this age, milk has to be first.

Offline Pili2

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 10:17:59 am »
Definately not constipated as he goes several times a day (not runny or anything so not a tummy problem). I'm really starting to tear my hair out. If I don't feed him anything else he'll just have a couple of oz till he's no longer starving and refuse again.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 20:23:55 pm »
Definately not constipated as he goes several times a day

My DD still pooped 3 times a day when so constipated that she was in the ER twice in 3 days... once it becomes impacted, other poop will go around the blockage... she showed no signs at all of there being an issue until she started to refuse to eat... it got progressively worse over 10 days until the day I took her to the ER the first time... she had taken only 2 ozs by 230pm... and it was forced. 

Given that he is still taking food, I would wonder if it is teething related... it can certainly hurt to suck... Have you tried giving pain meds about an hour before a bottle feed to see if it makes a difference?

Either way, he is taking very little in terms of milk feeds - I would be taking him to the doctor.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 20:26:41 pm »
If he hasn't had anything to drink in 24hrs he needs to go to the ER as soon as possible especially if he still hasnt' had anything. A baby his age should have at least 20oz to stay properly hydrated. Not trying to be alarming but when my LO wasn't eating due to reflux my Ped was very clear that he at the time needed to have at least 16oz over a 24hr period of time and if he went more than 2 days having less than that he needed to go into the ER for fluids..
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 20:28:35 pm »
^^  He is getting some fluids in his food.  She is using formula to make cereal etc...

However, I do agree that he needs to see a doctor.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 20:51:01 pm »
Does he have reflux? That's often a reason for refusing milk feeds.

How much solids is he actually eating and how often? Are you offering milk first then solids about an hour later?

I agree with Kara though - he needs to be checked by a Dr, not taking any milk in 24 hours is not good for a baby this age.

Laura

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 22:33:03 pm »
My concern is that he's not eating enough to stay hydrated. At eating it with solids defeats the purpose because the body will use the liquid to digest the solids therfore not keeping him hydrated. I would see a doctor asap.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 22:50:05 pm »
^^ I agree - he needs to see a doctor immediately.