Author Topic: how to increase feeds  (Read 1215 times)

Offline JaxMomNeedsSleep

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
how to increase feeds
« on: November 19, 2012, 00:52:25 am »
my ds is 20 weeks old, and is a big boy - 21 lbs, and almost 48 inches long.  We have transitioned to a 4/4 easy in the last few weeks.  The problem is that I can't get him to take more than 6 oz in every bottle (formula fed).  I have found he is waking 2 times per night for a feeding.  Doesn't seem like habitual waking as the times are always different, but coincide with around 4 hours from the last feed, give or take 15 minutes.  He always eats a full 6 oz bottle during these night wakings.

Any tips on how to get him to eat more?

thanks.

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: how to increase feeds
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 04:47:13 am »
Sounds like a growth spurt hun... there is a big one at 4 months and it can last a good week or two.

If the times are random and it has been 4 hrs since his last feed, go ahead and feed him.

Are you doing a DF?  If so, a DF plus a night feed (or even two) could be quite typical at this age.  If not, 2 night feeds is perfectly okay.

His feed volume per bottle is good at 6 ozs - typical of his age so not sure you could really do much to increase that.  Does he drain every bottle during the day?  If so, offer 7 ozs.  You want him to stop drinking because he is full, not because the bottle ran dry, KWIM?

Offline JaxMomNeedsSleep

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 16:15:07 pm »
I thought it was a growth spurt because about a month ago he was sleeping for 8 hours in the night.  This happened for a week straight and then the multiple night wakings started happening again.  Now I'm thinking he is just not eating enough.  He does drain his bottles during the day and night.  During the day, I try to feed him an extra 2 oz but he refuses the extra most times.

I don't do a dream feed, as I've found it doesn't seem to actually give me any extra sleep for myself. 

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 23:13:16 pm »
In this case, not much you can do - all a matter of waiting for his tummy to grow ;)

Offline JaxMomNeedsSleep

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 17:26:20 pm »
So now DS is waking at least 3/4 times in the night, and I cannot get him to go back to sleep unless I feed him. 

He is barely going 3 hrs between a feed at night, but during the day, he is very uninterested in his bottles.  I try anything to get him to eat, but no success.  He is teething (for months now) so I give him some orajel before a feed to see if that helps.  sometimes it does, sometimes it does not.  I have started to introduce solids once per day - carrots or sweet potato.  Not much, just enough to get him used to eating with a spoon.

Could such a small amount of solids be messing with him?  Am I creating an issue with feeding him in the night?  He drains any botttle I give him in the night.   Here was our EASY yesterday

WU  6:40
E  7:00  4  oz
S 9:10 - 10:30

E  11:00  4 oz
S  12:30 - 1:30

E 3:00  6 oz, plus some sweet potato puree
S  3:45 - 4:45

E  6:15  6 oz
S  6:45

Woke at 8:15 ate 6 oz
Woke at 11:45 ate 6 oz
Woke at 3:00am ate 6 oz, couldnt get him to sleep using sh/pat.  Tried till 5:00am, then fed him another 4 oz and finally went to sleep
Woke for the day at 6:45am

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 04:53:49 am »
hmm...

Does he have reflux at all hun?

Here is a link to some common symptoms:  Reflux 101 - General reflux information

The reason I ask is that a flare is common with teething...