Author Topic: Talk to me about WIWO  (Read 1244 times)

Offline MommyMoulton

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • Kiss Anyone?
Talk to me about WIWO
« on: November 28, 2012, 01:15:40 am »
OK so we dummy weaned DS at 16months. And it went fabulously. Just a few WIWOs and some mantra crying and he was asleep. He can now even self-soothe in the MOTN... However in the last 4 or 5 days WIWO hasnt been really working. We are getting longer and longer before he actually goes to sleep. Tongiht was nearly 30min, the last few nights has been 10, 15, 20, 20+ minutes. Am I doing something wrong? No matter when we start BT he seems to never go to sleep until 8pm. even though BT is usually 730 give or take 5min.

Can someone please tell me what the actual technique is for WIWO? Could he be not tired enough? I am capping his nap at 2hours.
Melissa

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Talk to me about WIWO
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 01:30:16 am »
Are you only WI when he cries for you?
Do you think he could be OT from the wean and needs to be PD a touch earlier?

What we did for Z (spirited) was BT routine, WO.
When he cried for us. WI - attempted to settle (only did this once) then sleepy phrase and WO
All other times he cried for us WI, sleepy phrase then out OR if he got really worked up we calmed him and started over, but that only happened the first night or two we did it ever.

Here's the actual WI/WO info
Walk In/Walk Out vs. The Gradual Withdrawal Method (HOW TO CHOOSE) :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 11:44:42 am »
what does his day look like Melissa?
For WIWO I PD and then stand outside the door. I then listen very carefully to the cry. If she is stop starting I leave her but if she is crying 'I need you mummy' crying I go back in, replace her muslin and you can say a sleepy phrase if you like. I then leave and repeat. 45 mins is about the max i would do it for before giving up for a nap tbh but if it is at BT you can continue unless he is very upset i.e. some lo's are sick or just get more and more wound up. I do think you need to stand back and listen carefully as going in and out a lot can rev some lo's up. Although WIWO is not about timing and I say that because it is important to make a clear distinction between WIWO and CC I DO give myself 10 seconds or so outside the door to really assess what she needs. What do you think?

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline MommyMoulton

• Showing Appreciation 12
  • Kiss Anyone?
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 12:29:55 pm »
ZM- i am doing the same as you did with Z. If I try to do any kind of gradual withdrawl he just cries more.

Becky-
730 WU
1pm-3pm Nap (usually only cries for about 2min then asleep)
730BT

He will occassionally fall asleep in the car anytime after 11am, where by I make his nap from the time he falls asleep in the car until 2 horus later.(ex. 115-115) But on these days I still do a normal BT.
Melissa

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 12:42:44 pm »
He 'could' be a bit UT for sure. Most lo's are on a 13 hour day with a 2 hour nap at this age so it might be worth trying a BT 30 mins later just to see although I know you are not keen on a BT later than 7.30pm. IMO he is a bit young for further nap capping.

GW is a no go here too, total nightmare if she is sick or teething as it just makes things worse being with her but she cries when we leave. sigh.

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!