Author Topic: Milk intake down at 8.5mo  (Read 1854 times)

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Milk intake down at 8.5mo
« on: November 24, 2012, 07:31:37 am »
Hi all,

I have just read through the FAQs and from what I gather, at around 9mo we should be putting more emphasis on solids but LOs should still be getting at least 500ml of milk a day.

DD was doing fabulously up until 2 weeks ago when she got sick. She used to BF upon WU, then have about 80ml of cereal made with formula, with 2tblsp fruit puree, BF after nap 1, lunch (BLW but I'd say she actually ingested 2-3 oz), BF after nap 2, dinner (BLW with fruit for dessert, 3oz in total), BT BF + 100ml EBM, DF 150ml....STTN
Amounts ok I think.

During her illness she only wanted to BF and took tiny amounts of solids then as she started feeling better her feeding went to pot. She went on a milk strike, would not BF or take a bottle, solids only.
We have finally gotten kind of back on track but she is still on a semi-nursing strike and I'm really struggling to get even 500ml of milk into her.
Now she'll BF a tiny bit upon WU, have one bottle of 80ml EBM throughout the day, maybe one more tiny BF then 150ml BT, 150ml DF and we now have a NF (BF). I think she's just managing 450ml of milk a day but her solids are a bit below what she used to take.

She's small, 7.2 kg and actually lost 100g in the few days after her illness but we have gained it back.

I'm kind of stumped about what to do now. Should I still be pushing the milk or just leave it as it is and try increase her solids intake or stop stressing and let her go at her own pace?

I give her water with every meal but have tried EBM instead, she prefers water though.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 08:05:24 am by eva026 »

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: Milk intake down at 8.5mo
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 19:34:01 pm »
I think I'd probably stick with trying to get as much breastmilk into her as you can.  Offer some small amounts of solids after you've BF.

Is she drinking a lot of the water you're offering with meals?
*** Amanda ***

Offline eva026

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 20:45:51 pm »
I'm trying but her nursing isn't wonderful after a recent nursing strike and she isn't mad about the bottle either. But that's a whole other story that I had going on on the BF forum.
She spent the weekend at MIL and apparently DD only took 300ml from a bottle over 24h and the rest had to be spoon fed:/

I've been trying to get creative and include as much BM as I can with solids but that's still not quite getting us to the amount she should be drinking. BM pancakes, BM omlette, BM cereal - any other ideas?:)

Cutting down on solids didn't help at all during the milk strike, so I'm a bit scared to try it again because she's only just stared eating properly.  She drinks water from a sippy at mealtimes (maybe 40ml at a time), till today she hasn't wanted milk. This afternoon I had the sippy with milk in it around when she was playing, just kept offering it to her and she did actually drink some. It's like after the illness she jut does not like milk much any more. Who knows what going on in that little noggin.

Anyway, I guess what I wanted to know, is if after 9mo I can ease up on pushing the milk so much and focus more on solids with water (I'm pretty confident I can get her to drink 400ml/24h) ?

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 21:53:16 pm »
Until 12m, milk should still be her primary form of nutrition as it contains more in the way of calories and fat than most solid foods. :-\
*** Amanda ***

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 00:27:34 am »
I wonder if she would do better going down to two BF's a day????  Maybe one before or after her nap and one at BT?

Offline eva026

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 12:50:46 pm »
Until 12m, milk should still be her primary form of nutrition as it contains more in the way of calories and fat than most solid foods. :-\

That's what I thought. :/

I wonder if she would do better going down to two BF's a day????  Maybe one before or after her nap and one at BT?

She only manages just over 150ml at a time, any more and she throws so I'm assuming she can't do more BF either. This morning she BF a lot because she'd SSTN and missed her NF, and the excess came up.

She's been refusing milk (BF and bottle and sippy) all day but is happy to take soilds and water.
If you ladies could help me with some kind of a feeding plan it would be great.
Starting from the BT feed she BF + 100ml EMB (or just 150ml EBM if she refuses to BF)
DF 150ml EBM/formula
NF BF 100ml I guess or if she STTN, she'll have a BF upon WU, I can't tell if it's more than 100ml though
So we have a total of 400ml I am sure of. She'll sometimes BF a bit coming out of a nap but again, I can't count on that.
She's missing 130ml I have to somehow get into her during the day.

30ml formula + cereal for breakfast and I can maybe get another 30ml into her with a sippy during lunch, so she doesn't realise it's milk she's drinking.
Where else can I sneak it in and since she's not so hot about milk during the day, do I need to do 3 meals a day + snacks?
We had been doing BLW for 2 meals a day but I've stopped that now and am making chunky mush so I can mix BM in and spoon feed. Can't get that much BM in though or it goes too watery.

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 13:43:14 pm »
Is she only sick after milk or can water/food make her react in the same way?
*** Amanda ***

Offline eva026

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 13:58:47 pm »
Only milk and only when she has a lot of it from a bottle or if she BF when I'm really full

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 19:05:10 pm »
Can you remind me what sort of illness she had, please?
*** Amanda ***

Offline eva026

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 20:32:19 pm »
They called it a 3 day virus, nothing serious. 3 days of fever followed by a rash
I was actually wondering if maybe she is now associating feeling sick with milk because she BF while she was sick and refused solids??
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 20:35:57 pm by eva026 »

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 22:05:02 pm »
Well, I guess it's possible :-\
*** Amanda ***