Author Topic: 5am wake ups are back I don't think it's an EASY issue?  (Read 18090 times)

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Re: 5am wake ups are back I don't think it's an EASY issue?
« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2012, 12:27:44 pm »
I agree 100% the wakeups were/are discomfort I just think he wasn't tired enough to go back to sleep after he woke up so I was dealing with 2 issues.  So our night went well. He didn't wake up at all for a bottle but woke at 3:45 in discomfort I could tell by watching his face on the monitor. So i went in and I heard him fart but it was a hard fart if you know what I mean like it sounded like it took effort. He then went back to sleep. I heard him stir 2-3 more times but he stayed asleep till 5:28 on the button :) I was hoping to feed him and see if he would go back to sleep but I decided against it as he was talking to himself etc.  I am wondering how to help with this gas.  I think I could try and give him some mylanta after his late afternoon bottle to see if we can get something moving in there before bedtime. I will also try and burp him a bit more after his bedtime bottle and see if that helps. I think it did start with solids but I can't stop the solids so not sure how to deal with that. He didn't get solids in the PM last night so I don't think that is making a difference?
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2012, 13:30:16 pm »
IIWY I would still not offer solids in the PM for a short while. And I agree, you can't stop solids, but you can reduce what he is having now and perhaps go down to giving a couple of foods, like pear and carrot. If he is having bananas and apples he might be reacting to those.
If you limit what he eats then you can keep a log and see what foods do cause him to be more gassy and what he is ok with.

What time did he go to sleep last night?
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2012, 13:56:03 pm »
He only gets a few foods. I try a new food for 4 days and if he reacts to it re. reflux we stop and don't try again for 10-14 days. He is on only foods he tolerates well. He doesn't like carrots, bananas, pears, or apples, or green beans.  He is eating peaches, prunes, sweet potatos and sweet peas at the moment. I am introducing Mango today. He fell asleep at 7:07pm last night so almost 10.5hrs.. Not enough I know but more than he's been getting. I do keep a log so I know what he's reacting to but as for the gas that's every morning regardless of what I've fed him that day. I am staying away from PM meals as best I can. Sometimes it's not possible but definitely trying. He only gets about 2-3Tb a sitting 2X a day sometimes not even that much. Not sure I should lower that?

**Siobhan**

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2012, 14:33:09 pm »
Hey hon, I agree with both of you re: the discomfort. My DS will wake, cry, and resettle often during the night, when he's unwell. Either he has a cold or he's reacting to some foods.

Now IIWM... I'd stop all solids for a few days and see if it helps with the wakings. Then I'd re-introduce them again one at a time and see if he gets the wakings again. I'm like that, I like to get back to a baseline everytime we have any issues with DS and then start again. It's not ideal, I know, and I don't know how picky he is but stopping and the restarting solids can sometimes be difficult with some LO's. But imho, if it's causing gas and discomfort at night, it's a fail. kwim?  his system is having trouble with the food, even though it's not affecting his reflux. he definitely seems to have a very sensitive digestive system (which is common with refluxers / mspi LO's). I know it's probably not what you want to hear, and I know this is my own approach and you may prefer to keep on with the solids (which is fine! :)), but then, it means you're waiting for him to outgrow it, yk?

Elise

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2012, 15:46:55 pm »
No I'm ok stopping solids for a few days to see if it helps clear it up I just that we just got him to sleep through the night for 2 days and I'm going to have to go back to feeding him in the middle of the night.. But I guess that's just selfish of me. :(  It's worth a shot.
We'll start that tomorrow since I already fed him today. He does have a very sensitive GI. Thanks all. I'll let you know how we do.

**Siobhan**

Offline ENMS

« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2012, 16:00:30 pm »
But I guess that's just selfish of me.

oh no hon, I totally get it. I LIVE to get DS to STTN. We weaned his NF successfully last week and 2 days later he was sick and waking again :(

Believe me, I know how exhausted you are. Hang in there. Hopefully things resolve by themselves soon. Maybe try breakfast only today and see, it may be enough?

Elise

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2012, 16:37:20 pm »
Ok I wont do lunch or dinner. He's been eating GREAT so we'll see how he does.

**Siobhan**

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2012, 12:39:00 pm »
So we didn't do lunch or dinner he still woke at 4:30 with bad gas. It's interesting it's always the same time.. I guess I could start doing w2s again to see if that might work. He did wake at 2am and was hungry so I fed him a small bottle of 4oz since he didn't have any solids yesterday.  However when he woke this morning he was so very very gassy. When I burped him he actually vomited some of his bottle which he hasn't done in almost 2 weeks. We're going to lay off the solids completely for the next couple days and see what's what. He went back to sleep till 5:24 but woke again so I rocked him till 6. He did fall back asleep but never into a deep sleep.

**Siobhan**

Offline ENMS

« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2012, 17:51:44 pm »
Just had a thought... I think he's on Elecare, is that right? Before you introduced solids was he still getting lots of gas? Could it be the formula as well? Since it's always at the same time, it could also be that ???
Elise

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2012, 19:55:07 pm »
It could be as he's always had gas but never that woke him up like this. This has been going for just under a month. He's been on this formula since he was 3 months old.  I can't switch the formula so I'm hoping it's not that. I'm laying off the solids for a few days to see what we get.

**Siobhan**

Offline ENMS

« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2012, 20:24:19 pm »
Oh I definitely wouldn't switch the formula if it only started in the last month or so. Was just asking in case.

It is weird that he always has gas at the same time. But I think I remember reading somewhere about something in the digestive process occuring in the early morning hours, but I can't seem to find it anymore :(
Elise

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2012, 20:36:48 pm »
I think I might try w2s which I can 't do all the time became like last night he woke at 2 so to go in at 3:30 to do w2s may not work.. But I'll try it anyway and see what we get. It's just stinky that I'm literally going to have family in and out of here for the next 2-3 weeks and he gets so OS that sleep goes all wonky anyway.

**Siobhan**

Offline ENMS

« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2012, 20:45:31 pm »
Good idea. I've wanted to do W2S with DS when he was younger but never had the energy to do it. I was already getting up twice at night and I never got the courage to wake up an extra time. hopefully it works for you :-*
Elise

Offline ENMS

« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2012, 15:00:20 pm »
How's it going?
Elise

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2012, 15:22:43 pm »
I havent been able to do w2s because he's woken up @ 2 to eat the past few nights.  We've encountered another issue. Last 2 nights he's woken up 3 times because his one leg has gotten out from under the blanket and stuck so he wakes up crying. He needed at about 4 months for me to put a blanket over his legs and tuck it into the mattress to essentially strap his legs down. But even that is not working as he can kick out of it now.  and he's getting out of the swaddle strap now. I really don't want to but think. I need to just stop swaddling. I tried for his first nap today and put him in a zaipadeezip. Took him 25 minutes of crying and kicking for me to get gim to sleep. He was so OT by then.

**Siobhan**