Author Topic: ED - How long for?  (Read 1918 times)

Offline baileyscommet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
ED - How long for?
« on: November 25, 2012, 07:22:50 am »
Hi,
My 8 week old has mucousy poos often and has really bad nasal congestion which stops her sleeping. She also wakes gagging on it. I've been to the docs and they say her chest is completely clear which is of course great.

I've been dairy and soya free for 14 days now but her congestion is actually getting worse. It only appeared at night after an inital sleep which allowed the congestion to collect whilst she slept. For the past few days the congestion is now audible during the day. Do symptons get worse before they get better? Should I have seen an improvement by now? Am I wasting my time now if I continue with the ED, which I'm really struggling with?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: ED - How long for?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 10:47:01 am »
Hi There,

I am not sure symptoms should get worse before getting better TBH. I think are a few reasons that very young babies can get bunged up TBH. I remember that Olly was like that was he was young too. Have you tried things like tilting the bed etc? It could be a bit of a cold, it the right time of the year for it!

As for the ED, it was very hard to see changes whent ey are this young TBH. What were the other symtoms that made you go on it?

Offline baileyscommet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 14:54:10 pm »
Hi, Yes we have her bed tilted and it doesnt help at all. Although saying that when she wakes for her first nightfeed I put her in with me and the congestion gets worse throughout the night. She can't br flat on her back at all. I don't think its a cold as it developed within the first two weeks of her birth.

I read that there could be a link between congestion and MSPI. She was also extremely unsettled and cried alot. She had a huge amount of colic like symptons. I have to admit all of those have gone - its just the congestion. Most people seem to think I'm wasting my time with the ED, do you?

I should mention he has been diagnosed with TT and some people think the congestion might be that or reflux?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 16:47:23 pm »
Have the mucousy nappies cleared by since you started the ED? 

She had a huge amount of colic like symptons. I have to admit all of those have gone - its just the congestion.

I would say if she had a huge amount of colicky symptoms and these have cleared in the last 2 weeks then the ED has definately done something.  Is she more settled in general then? 

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 18:31:02 pm »
Do YOU think that it is worth going on? What does you instinct say? As Shiv says, if the colicky symptoms have gone in the same timeframe as the ED starting then that would suggest there has got to be a link.

Yes, dairy can be mucous forming, but it could be unrelated at this point. ???

Offline baileyscommet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 20:39:40 pm »
The mucousy names are still happening but not as many.

She is definately much more settled than she was, she is happier, more content and rarely cries.

I don't know whether to carry on or not, the congestion is worsening, its now present during the day and is really affecting her ability to sleep - the nights are hard work as she has to be upright.....

Offline baileyscommet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 21:28:01 pm »
I've just read some info on the kellymum website and apparently the babies symptons can get worse before they get better and it states around the two week in mark  - which is exactly where we are. The symptons of MSPI are listed and my little lady had/s alot of them. Given this I'm going to continue for another week to two weeks to see whether this reduces her congestion.

Here's the link in case anyone is interested

http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/food-sensitivity/

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 07:50:38 am »
Thanks for sharing :) not something I had come across but you live and learn! Hopefully that us what is happening for you. Just reading through some old posts which have reminded me of a lady whose LO's main symptoms of MPI were constant colds. Hopefully you are onto something and find a solution x