Author Topic: Should I cluster feed a 9wo??  (Read 1214 times)

Offline helspells

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: November 26, 2012, 17:02:15 pm »
I have just started EASY in earnest but my 9wo has been naturally cluster feeding in the evenings for about a week or so now.  She has also in that time started to sleep from about 8/9pm straight through to 5/6am (with a dream feed).  I see from some posts that it is recommended that the cluster feed is dropped at about this age but I am worried that she may not sleep as long at night if I do this.  She was a small-ish baby at 6lb 7oz but only 4 days early and is only taking 5-6oz per feed at present.

So just wondering if I should factor in a cluster feed in our new EASY routine or not?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Should I cluster feed a 9wo??
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 19:13:12 pm »
If the cluster feeding suits her at the moment then I would leave things as they are until something changes. Some babies naturally want to cluster feed, some like my 2 don't ever want to - follow her cues and you won't go far wrong!

Laura

Offline helspells

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 11:31:09 am »
Thanks so much for your reply lolly.  At the moment she is struggling to take more than an ounce in her dream feed so I may remove the dream feed and leave the cluster feeds in place as she's slept solidly from about 9pm-7am the past 2 nights.

Offline KathG

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Dylan
Re: Should I cluster feed a 9wo??
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 19:58:03 pm »
HI Helspels
can you describe to me how your cluster feeding works?  I cant believe your 9 wo sleeps from 9 - 7with a dreamfeed!  that is amazing.   Laura tells me in my post that Tracy didnt mean suggest cluster feeding for babies beyond 8 weeks.  I am not sure why that is. do you know why?  But if I can get my 11 wk DS to sleep like yours with cluster feeding, I would like to try it out.
My DS feed between 6 - 7 pm; then around 10pm then 2 am then 5-6 am again. I need to drop the 2am and push the 5 - 6 am more to 6/7am.
Can you post your feeding schedule - times and quantites for me so I can get a rough idea how to do it?

Thanks so much