Author Topic: 9 month old night wakings and have tried everything  (Read 1078 times)

Offline 1tamara1

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
9 month old night wakings and have tried everything
« on: November 27, 2012, 20:16:59 pm »
Hi, my Ds is 9 months old tomorrow and has never been a great sleeper but we've got by. The past week or so we have had night wakings that are terrible! We had a bad run of sickness, teething etc what feels like the last four months but he seems to be all good now and we have these night wakings. They generally only occur once a night but when he wakes he screams, like screams like I have never heard him scream and the only thing that helps him go back to sleep is a bottle. Normally when he'd wake he'd grizzle but these are different, when either of us pick him up he thrashes about so much so that my husband has to take him.

Last night was the same and my husband and I gave in and fed him but he was awake for nearly 2 hours and now this morning we have over tired bub. I have tried what feels like everything, longer awake times, shorter and just dont know what to do. He is now waking our toddler and she is tired during the day as a result. Our routine is generally as follows:

Wake 7.15
Bottle 7.15
Solids 8.30
Bed 9.30 -10.30
Bottle 11am
Lunch 12pm
Bed 1.30-3
Bottle 3
Dinner 5
Bed 7pm

If someone could please have a look and let me know any suggestions as to changes or if they have experienced anything like this thatd be great. The night wakings arent at the same time either, last night it was 11pm, the night before 2am and he generally has a whole bottle and is still hungry in the morning, thank you in advance this forum is a life saver  :)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: 9 month old night wakings and have tried everything
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 02:32:20 am »
Have his A times always varied throughout the day?  Does it seem to work well for him?  I'm asking because you've got a 2ish hour one, a 3 hour one, and a 4 hour one -- this can work for some babies, but definitely not for others -- your first nap is on the short side as well.  At 9 months, we'd expect 3-4 hours of A time, so I think you need more.  That 2 hour night waking would also indicate that.  I would try to get to 3 hours for that first A time and see if it extends your first nap.  What do you think?

Offline 1tamara1

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 05:48:57 am »
Thank you for your reply, I will try that in the morning to see if it helps. He just seems so tired in the mornings and this morning he woke at 6 and I had him awake for 3.5 hours so will see how tonight goes. One thing I didn't notice is the varying awake times so thank you for pointing that out :)

He is so close to crawling and wondered if the wakings could be developmental?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 17:54:09 pm »
He is so close to crawling and wondered if the wakings could be developmental?
That could definitely be it too.  I'd keep trying to tweak the routine too in the hopes of a longer first nap.