Author Topic: Only wants solids from a pouch  (Read 1387 times)

Offline MakingMischief

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mom to Colin,
« on: November 28, 2012, 03:29:17 am »
This is sort of a weird problem, but here goes.

About a week ago, we were feeding Colin some fruit/veggie blend puree from a squeezy pouch (like this: http://www.sproutbabyfood.com/intermediate.php?sku=APPBLU). He was being really grabby, kept pushing the spoon away and reaching for the pouch. I let him hold it for a minute, just to let him explore and to see what he would do. He immediately put it in his mouth and sucked all the food out of it - a good 4 ounces of fruit/veg puree, gone in something like 30 seconds.

Since then, he doesn't seem to want to eat solids any other way. I had been doing a combination of finger foods and purees (purees only when he seemed to not have the patience for finger foods or if we were on the go), and he was a great little eater. LOVED to use his hands. But for the past few days, when I've gone to feed him as I usually do - set a plate of baby-friendly food in front of him - he just howls and howls. If I give him a packet, however, he will eat it - but he has to do it himself.

Is this something I need to nip in the bud? He'll still self-feed some of his favorite foods, but he has no interest in trying anything new anymore. This is the boy who would stuff anything given to him in his mouth.

Or is this just a phase that will pass (as my mother keeps trying to reassure me)?

Offline GingerNut

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 14:26:55 pm »
Your mum is spot on, it's a phase. At that age everything is - thankfully!

I'd probably continue to offer him spoonfeeds and fingerfood, but let him have the pouches as well; maybe he likes the novelty of it, or the fact that he's so much in control, or maybe the speed of it when he's hungry, but he'll move on eventually.

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Only wants solids from a pouch
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 23:07:26 pm »
^^ agree.  Not an issue at this age...

More than likely, he enjoys doing it himself and that he can eat it fairly quickly ;)