Author Topic: Concerned about bottle/milk intake dropping for 12mo  (Read 1612 times)

Offline ~Sara~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 264
Concerned about bottle/milk intake dropping for 12mo
« on: November 28, 2012, 21:29:43 pm »
I need a sounding board for all of this (my head is too busy atm)...

DD is barely 12mo and just this week, she's gone to 1 nap.  I'm kinda left wondering if she's now getting enough milk/about the best way to fit in her meals, etc.  Before the 1 nap, she was having 3 bottles a day (2/3 cow's milk), between 4-6 oz each (I limited it each to 6 so that she wouldn't be too full to eat).  However, things seem wonky with the switch...here's her routine for the past few days:

Awake at 8, eat breakfast
E: lunch at noon
Nap: 1/1:30-3:30/4:30 (haven't figured out her pattern yet)
E: bottle upon waking
E: dinner at 6
E: BT bottle at 7:45ish
BT: 8

I'm worrying because just this past weekend, her milk intake was 12-18oz, plus dairy she eats during the day.  That was completely within the average range.  Now, it's maybe 10z between the PM and BT bottles.  She hasn't seemed too keen on the AM bottle for a while, so I felt comfortable just dropping it.  Am now second-guessing myself.  Should I add a bottle back in after breakfast?  Everyone else in the family eats at 8, 12, and 6, so I'm not really keen on her eating meals at other times as it's easier to keep everyone on the same routine for meals at least.  I should also mention that I've started giving her milk to drink from a sippy for all meals.  She's also 50%ile for height, but 25%ile for height...pretty normal for her track record.  She normally does not finish her BT bottle either...she's just so different from my DS who was draining 2 bottles/day of 8-9oz, plus eating lots.

TIA! :D
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Concerned about bottle/milk intake dropping for 12mo
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 22:09:26 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much - most guidelines say that from 1 they need 12-14oz of dairy but that doesn't have to be liquid milk, all the dairy in her food counts. If she is eating well and eating cheese and yoghurt etc then with her liquid milk she is more than likely getting what she needs!

We dropped the first bottle at 12/13 months with DD because she wasn't eating breakfast so she had cereal with milk in it and then a snack like toast and a sippy of milk mid-morning. We dropped the middle of the day botttle at 1 and offered milk in a sippy with her evening meal and then a bedtime bottle.

Is she drinking water at meal times?

Laura

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 03:10:19 am »
Thanks, Laura :)  It's nice knowing other LOs dropped their AM bottles at this age, too.

When she was on 3 bottles/day, yes, she was having water any other time she wanted a drink.  Now, however, with juggling everything around the 1 nap, I've started giving her milk at all meals.  She prefers water, so if she gets really frustrated with having milk, I switch it out.  She doesn't drink much (water or milk) at meals, maybe a couple of ounces.  So, yeah, that does help :)
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 12:22:18 pm »
M was only on one milk feed at this age too, she just lost interest in the am one after having it in a cup, I thought it was the cup at first but she was fine with the BT one. I just made sure she had cheese, yoghurt etc every day. x

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 05:55:16 am »
My son was on one 4oz cups of milk and a breastfeed around this age and some days he'd have a 2nd or 3rd cup depending on how he felt.  I just used to give him a dairy based pudding with every meal and he had a lot of fish pie!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/