Author Topic: NW due to rolling-any advice???  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: November 29, 2012, 22:45:12 pm »
Hi

Lo is just 8 months and we seem to have got his routine ok-effected slightly by teething wake up early from naps etc! He's been rolling since three months but is now comando crawling and seems to get on his front in the night and get c stressed/upset by this-he can roll back in the day but doesn't at night! Not sure whether he's rolling what asleep then waking and freaking out or waking a lil rolling then can't go back to sleep on his front. The only thing that settles him is his dummy-which is doesn't have at any other time!
Any thoughts?
Oh his day is usually
7 e bottle then breakie
7:20 a
10 s
11:30 e lunch with water
12ish a
1 bottle
2:30 s
4 wake
5 tea
6:15 bath
6:45 bottle
7 bed

This is the aim-sometimes he struggles with 3 hr a in am so will do 9:30-11:30 nap

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: NW due to rolling-any advice???
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 03:44:38 am »
Can he replug himself?  Does he have dummies within reach in his bed? 
Honestly, with something developmental you often have to just ride it out -- your routine looks solid for his age.

Offline TracyP21

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 06:57:03 am »

Our DS just discovered he could roll over in bed and was doing it half sleep and then getting in a flap over it or ends up in the corner of the cot.  We have put him in a safe-t-sleep at night and it has fixed this problem.  Basically its a big bit of material that goes around the mattress and it has a bit that you velcro around their waist.  It just stops that rolling at night.  Apparently they do work out eventually how to get out of it.  I don't use it during naps as he likes to be on his tummy now for those.  He is definitely a back sleeper at night.  Not sure where you are in the world or what other names it goes by (I'm in NZ). 

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 11:16:07 am »
Hi, thank! Not sure if he can re plug! He tends to keep the dummy in-teething too! I am nervous he'll become reliant on it and wake to get it? Don't want it to become a prop?  Had a quick look at the safe t sleep-he's v big and wonder if he could get out! Lol!

Offline TracyP21

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 21:01:06 pm »

Our boy is very tall and 11.5kg (10 months) but hasn't got out of it yet.  He's in a sleeping bag as well.  The velcro is pretty sturdy.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 21:25:55 pm »
I'd give him lots of replugging practice during the day (and lots of opportunity to move around to practice those rolling and crawling skills as well) and then leave a bunch of dummies in his crib at night so there's one within reach.  If it hasn't become a prop yet, you're probably ok with it though, most of the trouble people have with the things seem to come around the 3-4 month mark (none of mine would ever take it, so I'm just telling you what I've heard from others).

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 21:37:22 pm »
Tracey- can your lo move in it at all? Wouldn't like to restrict him-although he lived swaddle so it may help! He's not had dummy in day ever and not to settle since he was 6wks-he just didn't need it-so hopefully not a prop! He tends to keep a hold of it if I do give it do will try not to stress about the dummy as much! He had loads of time to roll about practice his movement etc-seems hungry atm so maybe a growth spurt too??

Offline TracyP21

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 04:22:08 am »

Its wrapped around his chest/tummy so he can move arms, legs and wriggle around but just can't roll over.  Its worked really well so far. We only use it at night.

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 06:35:52 am »
Gonna get one, had three nw last night where he'd just rolled and got stuck! Yawn! He has plenty of daytime practice-I'm also thinking it may help when he starts to pull himself up !!! Thank you x

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 03:24:18 am »
Does he only roll one way?  Some moms will put them on the side of the crib next to the direction where LOs roll (if that makes sense) so they can't roll. 

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 09:12:48 am »
It's since he learnt to go both ways that we're having the nw! He was up for 90mins last night as he just kept rolling-I'm honestly not sure how he manages to get where he does! He didn't seem to be able to relax last night which he normally does :-( we were putting him right against the side but now he arches his back so far he can wriggle away-and he kinda crawls backward! Our first son just rolled on his tum and slept there! But d can't seem to relax and sleep that way! Tired today! :-( ordered that safe sleep thing to see if it helps at all, I think it may as he was good swaddled so likes that reassurance just a lil concerned about how restrictive it may be? Got a new one pretty cheap in eBay so no great loss if it doesn't help! When he wakes I just move him back to where he was give him dummy put mobile on, kiss night night and leave-that the right thing? Should I do more?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 13:34:01 pm »
ordered that safe sleep thing to see if it helps at all, I think it may as he was good swaddled so likes that reassurance just a lil concerned about how restrictive it may be?
Don't know a whole lot about it!

When he wakes, I might guide his hand to the dummy and have him put it in himself, that way he can get used to doing it when he wakes at night and (hopefully) do it himself.  I wouldn't do more, you don't want him to become reliant on anything.  It sounds like he really just needs to work through the rolling and things should improve.  Hang in there!

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 19:15:07 pm »
Well would you believe it he's gone to slepp on his tum! I put him down and then went to sort toddler, and he started to cry, but only on and off and not a hard cry, more fussing, (I also don't like leaving my toddlers story time) so I left him to it. Just finished stories and checked on him and he's asleep on his front! Not sure what this means for the rest of the night, but he must have relaxed enough to fall asleep!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 01:36:56 am »
Maybe he's turning into a tummy sleeper then.  :)  Mine all did that once they became good at rolling.  :)  Hope it bodes well for your night!

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 14:19:14 pm »
So the last two nights he's moaned a bit going off to sleep-and when I've checked he's been on his tummy! He's still woken at either 2/3/4am on his tummy-I don't know what to do with him? I left him for a bit yest to see if he'd resettle as he wasn't hard crying just shouting moaning etc-then went in and gave dummy patted his back-but I was then in and out for an hour! He then woke again at 6 :-( having a v bad day today struggling coz of tiredness! What should I do when he wakes should I leave him until he proper cries? He gets v loud shouting!!! Buts it's intermittent-not worked out his mantra cry as he doesn't really cry much. He's just gone down for his 2nd nap and he fussed again and is again on his tummy asleep-do u think he just needs to get used to it? I feel a bit lost atm