Author Topic: Raised, red area around mouth after eating  (Read 5999 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Re: Raised, red area around mouth after eating
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 00:18:42 am »
I definitely think dairy intolerance is a possibility :(. Tonight with dinner I gave her a small bowl with shredded cheese and after a few bites she started saying her tummy hurts real bad, then it passed and she was ok but she said 'sometimes when I eat cheese my tummy hurts' :(

How can they develop that so late? I don't understand :(

She LOOOOVES her dairy - milk, yogurt, cheese, you name it. If I have to remove all that it will be really hard for her.
Elise

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 00:42:26 am »
Allergies or intolerances can develop at any point in someone's life, even adulthood.

Hugs!  Wish I had more advice!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline jennandsophie

• Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 02:11:10 am »
Unfortunately, it's getting more common now, according to S's allergist.  She told me of people in their 50s or 60s who suddenly develop an allergy to a certain food they've had all their life.  She thinks it's due to environmental factors.  Hope N doesn't have dairy intolerance, but luckily even if she does there are so many alternatives out there now.  Coconut yogurt or almond yogurt are both delicious.
Jennifer - mom to Sophie and Jonas

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 02:37:57 am »
It's really not uncommon - humans are not meant to be able to digest dairy really, and I think those who don't have any issues with it are actually lucky.  I also think a lot of dairy intolerance goes untreated for years, and is actually responsible for a lot of symptoms but people don't realize it.  Like pp said, there are so many options these days.  And maybe it won't have to be an all or nothing thing.  Some dairy is more tolerated than others.  Did you ever find a suitable ND?  (I know we talked about this on another thread).  It's just another thing that an ND can offer some advice on, or even a holistic nutritionist.  Too bad you don't live in my town, I know a great one of each!

FWIW, my kids don't show any obvious signs of a dairy intolerance, but it's always in the back of my mind that eating a lot of dairy isn't necessarily good for them, so I do try to limit it anyway even though I technically don't *need* to.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 17:15:59 pm »
Coconut yogurt or almond yogurt

Hmmm I never heard of these before! will be looking at my options, I may try to go dairy free but it will have to be after the holidays I think

I also think a lot of dairy intolerance goes untreated for years, and is actually responsible for a lot of symptoms but people don't realize it.

YES that is exactly what I think. there are no obvious symptoms right now really, but I feel like it could explain. maybe not, but I figure best to try it and rule it out!
Elise