Author Topic: 9 month old total refusal of solids  (Read 1271 times)

Offline 1tamara1

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
9 month old total refusal of solids
« on: December 01, 2012, 09:04:02 am »
Hi, my LO is 9 months old and has always been a good feeder, however in the last week he has basically refused all solids offered. We thought that teething might be to blame, he has 7 teeth and they never upset his appetite in the past, well if it did maybe a day or two. But he does drink alot of milk, which I have tried to cut down but doesnt seem to help the solids intake.

He is now waking during the night hungry and will only settle with a feed, last night he was up for an hour and a half until we gave him and fed him, then the next morning at 6 am he was hungry again and demolished his bottle very quickly. For the 24 hour period yesterday he had a total of 5 bottles around 250ml each but with no solids.

Any advice on what to do, cut his milk intake down and see if that helps? Hoping I've put this question in the correct section :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: 9 month old total refusal of solids
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 13:27:48 pm »
Bumping for you x

Offline maggie2

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 00:22:43 am »
I don't think I'd personally cut his milk intake down - maybe it's a growth spurt - I'd actually be increasing his milk.  The solids don't give as many calories as the milk so perhaps his little body knows this and he just wants his milk, lol!

Until they're about a year old, the solids are really just there to give them the experience and a bit of added nutrition.  But the milk is where they're getting their calories from.

(edited to add - I'm saying this with the assumption that you've ruled out any issues with teething or any pain he might be having in his mouth/tummy - how much solids was he eating before? If it was a ton and now he's all of a sudden refusing maybe there's something going on...)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 00:24:19 am by maggie2 »

Offline 1tamara1

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 10:27:53 am »
Thanks for your reply and for bumping :) it has been going on for 3 weeks now and is waking during the night because he is hungry, still wakes or a bottle then has his first morning bottle as well. Last night he ate twice as we'll as his first bottle at 7am. He was teething he has his 7th tooth now but hasn't been an issue in the past.

My maternal health who I spoke to today believes that he is having too much milk for his age. He does drink a lot and hasn't changed his milk intake since he was 6 months old, if not its more.

Offline blondie91582

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 23:26:47 pm »
I have the same issue... even down to my son having 7 teeth! He's been up 4 or 5 times at night though & won't settle without being BF :( Hopefully someone will help figure it out