Author Topic: 10.5 week DS - how to cluster feed?; how much formula?  (Read 1188 times)

Offline KathG

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Dylan
10.5 week DS - how to cluster feed?; how much formula?
« on: December 02, 2012, 19:58:15 pm »
Hi
I've just stopped breastfeeding and I feel a bit confused about some bottle feeding issues.
A formula I have taken from many sources to know how much to feed DS is 125mls per kg of baby. So, I feed him 660 mls per day  (5.3kgs x 125 mls). This equates to 95 mls per feed if I give him 7 feeds.
He is still on a 3 hour EAS routine. 

Questions:
1. Cluster feeding: if he feeds at 2am; 6am; 9am; 12; 3pm; 6pm; and a dreamfeed at 10pm... then where do I find that extra 90 mls without overfeeding him to slot in an extra feed at 7pm?  I do not want him to become obese as so many formula fed babies do (my toddler fattened up so much on formula after bfeeding) and I also don't want to ingrain bad habits early of over-feeding.   SO for the cluster feed at 7pm, how do I work in this 8th feed in terms of the mls needed if they are all taken by the other feed times?

2.  Dream feed - do you pick DS up and take him out the cot to feed him or just feed him whilst he lies in his cot?

3. Hunger wakening or habitual wakening at 2pm (is this question relevant here or rather in the EASY or SLEEP forum?) - with a last feed at around 7:30 - 8:30 pm (this has been the norm up until a couple days ago when I started trying to implement the EASY routine on a 6, 9, 12, 3, 6 schedule), he has been waking up for most of his life between midnight and 2pm. Its always 5 hours after the early evening feed. I always feed him as I assume its hunger and not habitual waking as surely after 5 hours, he's ready for another feed?  Is this right or am I reading it incorrectly?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 10.5 week DS - how to cluster feed?; how much formula?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 20:25:50 pm »
First of all, I wouldn't worry too much about that guide line of how much fomula to feed - babies very so much in how much they need it really is only a rough guide.

Your best guide is your baby, if he is draining his bottles you need to add more milk in so that he can stop because he is full and not because the bottle is empty. You wouldn't be limiting his time at the breast, in the same way it's not recommended to limit formula unless they are taking so much they are bringing it all back straight after.

I honestly don't know of any obese formula fed babies - that tends to be because of diet after the baby time, babies are very good at self regulating and will only take what they need if they aren't pushed to take more. My DS was on the 75th centile at birth, he was formula fed from the start and is now below the 25th. My DD (also fomula fed) stuck like glue to the 91st centile averaging 750ml per day until she started solids, her weight at 5 months meant she should be taking well over 1000ml by that formula. I always fed to their apetites.

At 10 weeks you don't need to cluster feed - Tracy suggested dropping the clusters at 8 weeks so they were on a solid 3 hour EASY, if he is awake and has the first feed at 6am then the last feed and bedtime would be 6pm.

With the DF, yes pick him up and feed him then gently lay him down again. You shouldn't bottle feed lying down as it can be a choking hazard and it can cause ear problems.

Waking for a feed between midnight and 2am at 10 weeks old is hunger and very unlikely to be habit so you are right to feed!

HTH!

Laura

Offline KathG

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Dylan
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 19:45:09 pm »
thanks for the reply Laura.
One question in response to your repy then: you say
Quote (selected)
if he is awake and has the first feed at 6am then the last feed and bedtime would be 6pm.[unquote], then you also say
Quote (selected)
Waking for a feed between midnight and 2am at 10 weeks old is hunger and very unlikely to be habit so you are right to feed![unquote]... so I am confused. Should he be sleeping through from 6 to 6 as you refer to in first quote or is it impossible for a 10 week old to be sleeping that long without a feed.? I assume it must either be the dreamfeed at 11pm or a middle of the night feed at 2am?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 19:55:46 pm »
Sorry - by 6-6 I meant a day that runs from 6am - 6pm. Tracy recommends a 12 hour day/ night.

Overnight at 10 weeks it's expected that he would have his last feed at bedtime, then a dreamfeed between 10pm and 11pm. At least one more feed is normal at this age, some babies can't go any longer than 3 hours day or night so if he is only having one feed between the dreamfeed and the first day feed then he's doing well!

If your day starts at 6, you could expect to feed at

6am
9am
12 noon
3pm
6pm - bedtime
10-11pm dreamfeed
2am -ish nightfeed

However, he may be hungry sooner than 3 hours during the day or need another night feed, especially during growth spurts - there is a big one at 12 weeks and at  4 months.

Laura