Author Topic: 16 weeks and starting baby rice  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
16 weeks and starting baby rice
« on: December 03, 2012, 21:01:43 pm »
My Lo is 16 weeks tomorrow and we started her on baby rice tonight. She loved it and took to eating from the spoon with no problems.

However i dont know alot about weaning, how often should i give the baby rice and for how long before i start introducing new foods?

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline Seona1973

• Showing Appreciation 21
Re: 16 weeks and starting baby rice
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 21:40:07 pm »
Is there any particular reason you have started already? It is usually advised to start around 6 months.  I would go very slowly as you have started early and stick to a couple of spoonfuls once a day.  No dairy, meat, gluten, etc until 6 months

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 08:29:52 am »
She has silent reflux and the HV said early weaning will help with this. I am planning on staying on just rice once a day for a while and maybe adding a fruit or veg purree, or do you think i should just use plain baby rice until she is 6 months old?

My angel baby girl

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 00:46:13 am »
hi hun,
We started Z at 4 months in the hope it would help his silent reflux...it made it worse ::) However, it does help some :)
I would actually start with some safer foods that are less likely to cause constipation or gut trouble. Ripe Pear, Sweet Potato and Pumpkin/Squash are all good ones to start with. For the Pumpkin etc you can water down with breast milk or formula and these foods are nice as a combo ie pear and pumpkin. Apple is another that can be ok, but can also cause trouble. Avocado is also great food to try. You can then maybe start mixing in the baby rice a little later but even though it is commonly used as a first food, I would steer clear of too much of it at 4mths and with a refluxer.

I would offer in the am too so you can see any fallout during the day rather than overnight HTH :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 20:39:57 pm »
Thank you, i will stop the baby rice. I gert my blender on saturday so i will start with the purree's then instead.

Thats a good idea trying it in the morning, i always thought you start in the evening then add a morning but i guess its whatever is best for the LO.

I'll let you know how i get on.

Thanks

My angel baby girl

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 06:25:43 am »
As you are starting so early, it might be best to ask a HV as they are trained in this kind of thing and don't normally recommend weaning before 17 weeks but from 17 weeks I think you can start including fruits and vegetables.  The kind of ones we started on were:

Pureed; parsnip, sweet potato, swede, carrot, butternut squash, apple, pear.  Just watch out as loads of them are orange, it can send their skin orange if they have too much!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 05:15:39 am »
Thats a good idea trying it in the morning, i always thought you start in the evening then add a morning

In Canada, it's recommended to start with a breakkie, then lunch, the dinner last ;)