Author Topic: 10 week old not interested in 7am feed due to NW?  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Sarabob

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
10 week old not interested in 7am feed due to NW?
« on: December 08, 2012, 18:53:50 pm »
Hey all,

Think this may also go in feeding but it's more about night wakeingd

After a lightbulb moment I decided to not wake my lo for a dream feed and just see how he got on.
The past two nights have been quite successfull.

6.30 bath
6.45  - 7.30 feedin / wind down
8pm fast asleep in his big cot
1/2am stirs has a quick feed
3/4 same as above
6/7 wakes up

But we would obviously prefere his longer sleep to be more the core night any ideas on how to encourage this.
Also he is beginning to not be so interested in his 7am and 10am feeds meaning he wants more in the afternoons often sneaking an extra feed in somehow

He is EBF feeds every 3hr and I'm trying to get his naps sorted he does sleep about 4 -5 hours in the day but he needs encouragement and it's never ever the same lengths at the same times.

My HV suggests cooled boiled water at night but a. He hates the bottle (a whole other drama) and b. I don't see how if he is hungry I should force him to wait just cusninwant to sleep.

Thoughts please. X
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 19:00:48 pm by Sarabob »

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: 10 week old not interested in 7am feed due to NW?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 04:55:46 am »
I would stay away from the boiled water at night, from everything I've read, you shouldn't give water to a baby at that age. 
That 8-1 AM stretch is totally fabulous for 10 weeks!  It wouldn't be all that unusual for him to wake roughly every 3 hours after the first waking (LOs often do their longest stretch in the first part of the night and then go back to every 3 hours after that).  Are you a single sided or double sided feeder right now?  How does he feed at the 1/2 AM feed?  Does it seem like he takes a full feed?  You could do one of a few things -- you could try to get him to take a bigger feed at 1/2 AM, which would hopefully eliminate your next feed.  If he already takes one at that point, I would try to do a smaller feed (one sided, less time) at 3/4 AM in the hopes that he'll be hungrier in the morning.  What do you think?

Offline Sarabob

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 08:27:39 am »
That makes sense, he currently 90% of the time feeds from just one side each feed.
His 1am feed never feels very long and almost as if he is just using it to send himself back to sleep, I will try and encourage a fuller feed.

It's just nice to hear that he is doing well too rather then "oooo he isnt sleeping through yet!" personally I never expected him to do early on.

Last night was pants he woke every two hours ended up sleeping on the floor next to his cot! (normally take him up to sleep in the crib next to our bed.) hoping that was due to him sleeping so much in the day and not feeding too well due to being under the weather.

He woke and fed at 8am today so do I start easy from 8am? But that's too late for his last feed at bed as his bedtimes are perfect always fast asleep by 8pm, so should I bring his feeds a little earlier today like every 2hr 45min? Just don't want to ruin that bed time routine.

I'm glad you said about the boiled water something just feels wrong about it.

Il try again today/tonight see how he gets on!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 22:50:08 pm »
His 1am feed never feels very long and almost as if he is just using it to send himself back to sleep, I will try and encourage a fuller feed.
You can try changing his diaper or something like that halfway through so he's taking more.  I used to unswaddle, feed one side, change diaper and reswaddle, and then feed the second side so I knew I was getting a decent feed in the middle of the night. 

I'm not in the UK, but from my experience on here it seems like HVs are a totally mixed bag in their breast feeding knowledge -- some certainly know more than others.  ::) 

He woke and fed at 8am today so do I start easy from 8am? But that's too late for his last feed at bed as his bedtimes are perfect always fast asleep by 8pm, so should I bring his feeds a little earlier today like every 2hr 45min?
I'm probably late on this, but I'd start at 8 and either keep your feeds closer to 3 hours and then just smush the two closer together or do the 2.45 thing as well.  Some variation is totally ok, I found that my LOs were generally ready for bed at about the same time regardless of when they got up.  You'll just end up with a shorter nap or something along the way to compensate. 

Hope your night tonight is better!

Oh and ::) on this:
It's just nice to hear that he is doing well too rather then "oooo he isnt sleeping through yet!" personally I never expected him to do early on.
Babies need to eat at night, most of them for much longer than "they" would have you believe.  :)