Author Topic: 2 month old activity length and types??  (Read 2005 times)

Offline messagekim

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 12, 2012, 01:36:00 am »
Hello everyone..

My daughter is 6 weeks old and we've been implementing the EASY method. Her activity has always been diaper change and then immediately shush/patted to sleep. Lately, I notice she likes to stay awake longer just to stare at the ceiling, listen to things around, etc.

With her being 2 months, and going forward, what length of activity should we be prepared to spend with her outside of the diaper change?

Thanks for your time,

Kim

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: 2 month old activity length and types??
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 01:49:02 am »
Hi Kim,
Im interested to know what others A times are at this age too. T is 9 weeks and Im strugging to find his ideal A time. However I am finding he settles best when it is 1hr ATM.
So for us its feed, wind, change then play until ~45mins is up then 15mins for him to get to sleep ie WD and eyes closed at 1hr or so.

A few mums in the BC LOs are closer to 1hr15 ;)
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline PaulsMom

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 02:07:20 am »
We are around 1 hr 20 min or so.  I'm not sure if this is ideal since I don't get long naps from dd (who is 11 wks old).  The duration of the A time may also depend on temperament and how stimulating the environment is (eg. DS is really stimulating so after school, I should reduce her a time).

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 08:58:27 am »
Hi Kim
There are guidance A times here.
Is my baby ready to increase his ‘A’ time? (incl. 'A' times for younger babies)
Remember that A is counted from when LO wakes up to when Lo falls to sleep.  The amount of time after a feed and nappy change will change LO to LO depending on their individual needs and what speed they eat.  As they become more proficient at eating they have more time available for other activities.

At this age they love bold black and white (strong tonal contrast) images.  The effect to them is like it is moving.  I printed off some thick black stripes on white paper (or use marker on card) and some very simple geometric shapes to hang near LO.  It gives something close by to focus on.
Hanging loops were really useful here, as you can hang all sorts of safe toys or household items for LO to gaze at and reach out for.  Hang from a play arch or even from a chair or clothes horse, something stable that LO can lay near or beneath on a comfy blanket.
I also had one to one activity like talking, singing, smiling with lots of eye contact and 'bopping' very gently on his nose and he'd smile at this, even giggle.
hth

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 09:03:00 am »
Oh yes. T looooves just watching me, DH or DS and 'talking' to us when we make silly noises or just smile and coo. One thing to maybe keep in mind during A times. Try to avoid yourLO watching the TV, it OS like nothing else and they can't process the moving images. I always face T away from the TV if Z is watching. Otherwise he is hard to settle ::)
***Sara***

Offline PaulsMom

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 09:06:29 am »
Gosh, I think even the sound of DS's voice over stimulates my dd, ever mind the tv with a kids show on!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 17:53:38 pm »
Lol PM Zs screeching probably totally OS T too! The TV is the worst I think when they are this small. And often people think it's good because 'they appear to like it'

How things going kim
***Sara***