Author Topic: 17 weeks and stopped taking her bottles  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
17 weeks and stopped taking her bottles
« on: December 12, 2012, 15:41:12 pm »
My LO is 17 weeks old and has started to refuse her bottles. For the past week i have really struggles to get her t take more than 3oz at a time, and even then se is trying to sit up, turns her head to either side or just slaps the bottle away with her hand.

I'm getting worried as she is only having about 16-20oz per day. She is not a big baby only 12lbs 4oz so i don't want her losing weight. Any idea why she would be doing this and what can ni do to get her to take more?

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 17 weeks and stopped taking her bottles
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 15:55:21 pm »
How often are you feeding her? What flow teat do you have her on and have you started solids?

Laura

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 16:44:06 pm »
I am feeding her every 3 hours i tried 3.5 which didn't make a difference and at 4 hours she was screaming with hunger.

I use Dr Brown level 2 teats, i have tried level 3 but she just dribbles all the milk out of her mouth and i just started solids a few days ago, just a couple of spoons of purree pear at the moment.

My angel baby girl

Offline Lolly

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 17:04:23 pm »
I think you need to push the bottles out. Start with the first one of the day, get as much in her as you can but don't let the feed run for longer than 20 mins. The next bottle needs to be as close to 4 hours as you can get - distract her anyway you can and she should take a better feed, then you do the same again, hold out for at least the same time as the previous feed or 4 hours if you fed her a bit before that.

I would forget the solids for now to be honest until you are getting more milk in her. She is the very minimum age for starting solids under UK recs and milk has more calories, fats and nutrients than early solids - you need to get her milk intake up to around 28/32oz if you can. Remember that solids up to age 1 are for tastes, textures and practise so there is no rush!

Laura

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 17:07:46 pm »
she had been doing really well, she had been taking 35-40oz per day then just stopped. should i still push them out if she has only taken 3oz for her first bottle

My angel baby girl

Offline Lolly

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 17:09:44 pm »
Yes - if you don't push a bit to start you will never get her to 4 hours with bigger feeds. You may only get to 3.5 hours on 3oz but she should take more the next feed and you can then make it 3.75 hours etc.

If she isn't taking more than 3oz at 3 hours is she actually showing hungry cues?

Laura

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 17:12:43 pm »
to be honest no really, but since she was only taking the same at 3.5 hours the HV said i should just feed her more often to get more milk in her but its not working. So i'll try pushingn it out and see what happens.

My angel baby girl