Author Topic: WWYD about calcium?  (Read 2533 times)

Offline CCCmom27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 27
WWYD about calcium?
« on: December 12, 2012, 18:45:32 pm »
DS2 (and myself) has been off dairy & eggs for 5 weeks to see if it helps him stop getting ear infections.  I'm not sure how long I want to do the trial, but I'm concerned about calcium and I'm not sure how to get some in him!  He didn't drink milk before but he did eat cheese and foods cooked with milk/cheese before.  He still nurses before bedtime...I don't want to start anything new so I'll held off on offering a milk alternative.  He's a great eater for the most part, but I think the only calcium rich food he eats on a regular basis is beans.  He's not a big pasta eater but eats some chicken sausage with sauce when we eat pasta so I'm going to chop up some spinach to mix in next time.  Does he get much calcium through my milk at this point of only nursing once a day?  Would you offer a milk alternative at this point?

He was tested yesterday for food (and dog we have 6 so the allergist thought it was a good idea) allergies and came back negative.  I wasn't really thinking it was allergies, more a sensitivity but I'm only his mother  ::).  My thinking is something he eats aggravates his reflux which irritates his nasal passage ways etc. contributing to the ear infections.  He had an infections 5 weeks ago at the time we stopped dairy/eggs and was on antibiotics for it.  Last week at the doctor his ears still had clear fluid but weren't infected so I feel its a step in the right direction or a coincidence  :P  Either way I think we need to stay off both longer....

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
Re: WWYD about calcium?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 19:09:58 pm »
I'm going to follow along as I have been dairy free for ds for 19 months and I am also a bit concerned about calcium. I do take a supplement when I remember, and I have been able to eat sheeps cheese and goats cheese, which I think helps a bit. Ds drinks coconut milk - the one we have has calcium in it, so he is not getting none at all. He also gets plenty of spinach and I feed him twice a day.

Would love to hear some other suggestions, though.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 19:48:28 pm »
Can he have nuts?  I think almonds/almond milk is a good source of calcium.  You can try mixing it with coconut milk to give to him as a milk alternative beverage that has a similar nutritional profile to cow's milk in terms of healthy fats and calcium.  I think maybe broccoli is a good source as well.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline CCCmom27

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 20:00:38 pm »
He eats peanut butter and has maybe had a small bite of almond before.  Almond milk would be my preference to give him if he likes it, but I wasn't sure if I should be adding in new things at this point  ???  I use almond milk (ok chocolate almond milk  :P ) in my coffee daily and have a glass every few days just for the calcium.  I had gotten some plain to use in cooking and baking but then didn't because I didn't think I should introduce anything new...Broccoli is one of the few vegetables he doesn't like  ::)  Does avocado have calcium in it?!?!? He'd eat a whole one daily if I let him....My ped suggested a multivitamin with calcium but all I can find is liquid (which he doesn't like) for his age with 6% or so calcium or chewables that don't have calcium at all.  Just realized I do use coconut oil to cook with so would that mean coconut milk wouldn't really be something new? 

Offline CCCmom27

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 20:09:01 pm »
Just found this article...

http://www.whattoexpect.com/toddler-nutrition/calcium-for-toddlers.aspx

Apparently spinach isn't that good of a source because of oxalic acid.  Oranges are on the list and that's one of the few fruits he doesn't eat  ::)  I think he's trying to avoid calcium  :P

Offline malenka

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 15:54:30 pm »
DS doesn't eat much dairy, so at his Dr's suggestion, we've had him on calcium supplements for a while. If you can find them, there is a calcium supplement for kids that comes in a chewable format (like a gummy bear). I think the brand is L'lil Critters, and I found it at Walmart with the other kids multivitamin... just read the packaging carefully to find the calcium only one.

Another option would be Tums if you think DS could handle chewing them. What we're using right now for DS is an adult calcium chew (the chocolate flavour), which you could try as well, but perhaps cut in half if you think the dosage is too high? Another though would be to try giving calcium-fortified juice. There are a lot of fortified orange juices out there and there's a fortified apple juice that comes in juice boxes for kids - Oasis maybe?
Meredith - Mommy to

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 16:03:16 pm »
Another option would be Tums if you think DS could handle chewing them.

We have been using the chocolate ones too, but this in an excellent idea (the choc ones I got do have dairy though, but S seems okay with it so far) Before that we were using IronKids calcium, but I can't find it anymore.
Heidi

Offline CCCmom27

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 18:30:47 pm »
Hmm hadn't thought about tums...I'll have to check with my doc to make sure they'll be ok to use with his reflux meds  ???  I wish I would have just gotten some of the calcium supplements when I was at the healthfood store the other day even though they weren't age appropriate and then researched on line.  I think he'll be fine chewing something.  I looked at coconut milk today but only saw a big container of it.  I'll look for something smaller when I go to another store and try that I think!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 19:20:49 pm »
I wish I would have just gotten some of the calcium supplements when I was at the healthfood store the other day even though they weren't age appropriate and then researched on line

besides their multivitamin, all the supplements I give the kids are adult ones (but I read the dosage and give accordingly, with the exception of vit D which one of Spencer's dr's has okay in greater amounts) 
Heidi

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 05:06:21 am »
Watch the labels on almond and coconut milks... I just learned the hard way that most are processed with soy in the same facility... my DD isn't MPI or MSPI, she is just very intolerant of caesin protein specifically (fine with cheese, yogurt and cooked dairy and has an milk-based infant formula that contains whey protein only - GoodStart), but the cross contamination was enough to cause NWing and screams throughout the night!

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 21:49:54 pm »
I've been dairy free for about 4 years.  I don't take a calcium supplement.  I recently did some extensive testing with a naturpath.  She tested a lot of my nutrient levels and my calcium level was actually above the "normal" range (not in a bad way--just that my level was not only adequate, but better than average).

You might check out this link with some lists of food that are high quality sources of calcium:  http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=45  (Em--nuts are not on there.  I don't think I've ever heard of those as a particularly good calcium source.) 

Sesame seeds are on the list--they can be ground up and added to things.  You can use tahini (sesame seed paste) to make hummus or as a spread.  I'm not sure I love the taste. 

We also make our own chicken stock.  I have read that a cup of homemade chicken stock has as much calcium in it as a class of milk.  I don't know if that's true or not, but I've read it.  You put a chicken carcass in a pot.  Add a tablespoon of vinegar and cover with cold water.  Let it sit for 1/2 an hour, then bring to a boil, reduce and let simmer for 1-12 hours.  You can also add: salt, carrot chunks, celery, onion, baby leaves, pepper corns, kelp for additional flavor.  when done simmering, strain off the liquid.  Let it cool in the fridge; skim off the fat that rises to the top; use to cook, etc.  The vinegar leaches the calcium and other mineral from the bones, making your stock very nutrient dense. 

We do also eat broccoli often and I try to eat leafy greens often, but I'm not as faithful about it as I should be. 

I do honestly think that all the dairy/calcium hype is a really thorough and well-done advertising campaign by the dairy industry.  We're all paranoid that if we don't eat dairy we'll end up with osteoporosis but I have read that the countries with the least osteoporosis are actually those where dairy is rarely consumed.  I recently read a vegan book arguing that animal proteins (including dairy) create an acid state in our bodies which actually leaches calcium, so the net effect of consuming dairy is actually a negative for calcium reserves.  I don't know if that's valid or not, but there are societies around the world who do not drink cow's milk and they do just fine. 

My kids do also take this L'il critters calcium supplement:  http://www.vitacost.com/lil-critters-calcium-gummy-bears-with-vitamin-d3-fruit-swirl?csrc=GPF-PA-027917256603&ci_sku=027917256603&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}&gclid=COq9mqiunbQCFcaDQgodUhcAvQ

So . . . . my bottom line . . . . I wouldn't sweat the calcium issue much.