Author Topic: Tell me about neocate please  (Read 14777 times)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Tell me about neocate please
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 01:54:56 am »
Thanks ladies... Quick q..
Bf to formula...what should I expect digestion and poop wise? Should he go in 24 hrs?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 02:07:03 am »
I remember the ped telling me that anytime I changed something in his diet, his digestive system would slow down at first. I seem to remember going 24h without poop everytime we made a change, and then it would resume to normal after.
Elise

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2012, 02:13:05 am »
but what is normal for FF ??? BF babies normal is anything from 10 times a day to once every 10 days :o but i know this isnt the case for FF
***Sara***

Offline ENMS

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 02:24:40 am »
Hmm I think normal is at least once a day. M had max 4-5 poos a day, sometimes one, it really depends.

Elise

Offline stardust599

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 21:23:53 pm »
Just read your update - wow that is amazing!!  Hope it continues (and hope it happens for us soon too!!!)

Neocate poo is completely different to normal poo!

Neocate has very little "waste" because it is amino-acid based and it is partly absorbed rather than digested.  Nappies will likely be very dark green to black and pretty smelly and expect less often than when BF.  Also, if there is an allergy mucous can appear in the nappy for the first 2 weeks as the body "clears out".  Macy and Alex were both constipated on Neocate and needed a little Lactulose morning and night to keep them going regularly.

Also, Neocate is a very thin and watery milk.  Both my babies have had projectile vomitting when on it although it didn't cause them any pain or issues with their weight - apparently the calories and nutrients in Neocate are absorbed so quickly it doesn't matter if they vomit shortly afterwards xx
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 21:25:35 pm by stardust599 »
Mummy to a beautiful girl born Nov 2010 - touchy baby now a touchy/spirited Toddler!

Baby boy born 2nd July 2012 - my very spirited little monkey with MSPI, GERD & dysphagia.  Here to help ask me anything :-)

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 23:10:38 pm »
Thanks for the info Hun :-*
I've worked out he doesn't do well on avent bottles ::) takes in wind and fusses a bit. my neighbour gave me some tommy tippee closer to nature ones and he is great on them! :)

We had mucus in the poop yesterday and it looked like it was 'changing' but this am we had a runnier darker one with NO mucus! (And no discomfort before passing) silly question but how do you know if he's constipated? - poop firm OR just not pooping much?

I did notice more spills ::) though breast milk is thin too so used to spilling.

Dr visit went well....we have a 3 mth supply. We weighed him too and he has lost :'( my poor boy was probably not even absorbing my crap milk. Just dumb dumb dumb.
***Sara***

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2012, 03:05:10 am »
Your milk is not crap.. stop punishing yourself for something completely out of your control.  **hugs**
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline ENMS

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2012, 03:08:07 am »
Your milk is not crap.. stop punishing yourself for something completely out of your control.  **hugs**

^^^^

be gentle on yourself hon. you're doing the best you can for him :-*
Elise

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2012, 10:57:41 am »
There is nothing wrong with your milk. It is just that your sweet little boy is either intollerant/allergic to things in it. It is not your fault that this has happened. You are an amazing Mum doing the very best for her children.

Kelly x

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline stardust599

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2012, 14:01:41 pm »
If he's constipated it'll be firm and formed (TMI sorry) and he'll do lots of straining, grunting and moaning and seem unsettled for a night or so before passing it.  Thought you might notice more spills, doesn't matter as long as it's painless!  Shame on the washing basket though!

Your milk is definitely not crap!  If that's the case then my boobs are crap as I didn't manage to feed Alex at all.  Our babies have special feeding needs and we are doing what's best for them.  Is T getting a probitioc?  I would start giving him a probiotic now that he isn't getting BM.  xx
Mummy to a beautiful girl born Nov 2010 - touchy baby now a touchy/spirited Toddler!

Baby boy born 2nd July 2012 - my very spirited little monkey with MSPI, GERD & dysphagia.  Here to help ask me anything :-)

Offline Aishi

• Showing Appreciation 105
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2012, 15:13:16 pm »
Hi hon

Just seeing this and I have about 6 sealed tins if you're struggling with getting hold of it? I'm in the UK so no idea how long it'll take to get there or how to post? Recorded delivery? Pm of you're interested hon xx
aishi :)

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2012, 21:50:59 pm »
Thanks stardust, he's not constipated :) (yet) but I've noticed a tiny bit of mucus still and possibly a tiny bot of red (blood?) hrs less settled today but I tried for a nap in the bassinet. I think it was too flat and he was refluxing.
I HAVE started to notice more spilling now ;)

Thanks aishi, I've got a 3 mth prescription (though dr screwed up and only prescrived 2 tins so rining mon) and Jenny is sending me up a tin from down the South Island. Thank you so much for the offer though :-*
***Sara***

Offline Aishi

• Showing Appreciation 105
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2012, 22:00:51 pm »
You're welcome. I should have read the whole thread :) didn't realise doc gave prescription. Really hope it works for u guys.

And don't feel bad about ff. I wanted to bf lo1 and struggled with low supply despite trying everything for 3 weeks (dh stopped being supportive cos ds was getting poorly) so I gave up (didn't know about BW then). So with dd I just went straight to ff with no regrets and she's thriving :) it's what's best for your lo that counts :*)

« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 22:02:59 pm by Aishi »
aishi :)

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2012, 05:10:43 am »
:-*
Sorry ladies, another question.
His poops were going 'neocate' poop colour but today he was less settled and then did a funny poop...little bit of mucus, back to more brown colour with fatty posits. ... He was happier after it was out, but could this just be the rubbish exiting the system?
***Sara***

Offline stardust599

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2012, 10:28:02 am »
Hope you had a lovely Christmas and got a decent sleep.  Christmas Eve Alex only woke twice which was amazing but last night he was back to hourly!!  I have ordered the Ultra 30 wedge + harness and will let you know if it's worth it!  Was going to go for the RESQ wedge but decided it was far too expensive!

How long has he been exclusively on Neocate now?  Is he more or less unsettled? The only time I have ever heard of Neocate making a baby's allergies worse are with a corn syrup allergy, I think it's super rare though!